• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thanksgiving Break Striped Bass

Have you thought about using a Sabiki rig to try and catch some, from what I have read it works but you have to be on top of the bait and pretty much vertical jig the Sabiki. If that works you won't have to throw that damn cast net lol

That's an ideal I heard several people mention but I have never tried. The other problem is, the ways the regs are written, it is still illegal to use alewifes for bait on Carters. I think a lot of people are still doing it without issue, but with my luck I would get stopped by the "hard ass". I have called DNR the last two years about getting this reg changed since there is no way they are going to eradicate alewifes in that lake. Carters is the deepest resevoir east of the Mississippi and these alewifes seem to have no trouble living very deep.

Each time they say "Yeah, we've been meaning to get to that - hopefully that regulation will be fixed next year. I just don't get it. They are similar to blueback herring which is perfectly fine to use on Lanier. Our tax dollars at work.

That's an ideal I heard several people mention but I have never tried. The other problem is, the ways the regs are written, it is still illegal to use alewifes for bait on Carters. I think a lot of people are still doing it without issue, but with my luck I would get stopped by the "hard ass". I have called DNR the last two years about getting this reg changed since there is no way they are going to eradicate alewifes in that lake. Carters is the deepest resevoir east of the Mississippi and these alewifes seem to have no trouble living very deep.

Each time they say "Yeah, we've been meaning to get to that - hopefully that regulation will be fixed next year. I just don't get it. They are similar to blueback herring which is perfectly fine to use on Lanier. Our tax dollars at work.
I net them, and most guides use them as well, go get your fish on.

Yeah our tax dollars hard at work LOL or are they hardly working??? IMO if you take the time to net or catch your own bait you should be able to use it how you see fit... I am sure DNR would disagree with me there LOL!

Back
Top Bottom