• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Basic Fundamentals of Firearms Safety

I always clear any weapon before doing anything with it.... even if I was the last one to put it away under lock and key.

I assume that tiny little demons got into the safe/case and loaded the weapon.

dont forget Situational Awareness, that includes to know what is beyond your target, civilians do not like collateral damage

dont forget Situational Awareness, that includes to know what is beyond your target, civilians do not like collateral damage

Yeah, if a student buries his/her eyes into their Iphone once we get out to the range & are getting ready to shoot or have just finished a drill and they're not paying attention, I'll take a thick rubberband, draw it back real far, & pop them with it in the ear..................................... ok, not really.
We don't have ANY horseplay on the range but I have to tell you it has crossed my mind some during some water breaks where some of them "shut off" or "punchout".

Last edited:
I like the "finger straight" phrase that you say, Monte. Not sure if that's a standard thing, but it's helped me (for whatever reason) improve my trigger discipline.

Yeah, if a student buries his/her eyes into their Iphone once we get out to the range & are getting ready to shoot or have just finished a drill and they're not paying attention, I'll take a thick rubberband, draw it back real far, & pop them with it in the ear..................................... ok, not really.
We don't have ANY horseplay on the range but I have to tell you it has crossed my mind some during some water breaks where some of them "shut off" or "punchout".

alot of people are not prepared for mental fatigue and become victims to the "H.U.A syndrome", simply put, their head is not where it should be.

Mostly I agree but these rules ARE the most basic part of all firearms training.

Jeff Cooper is credited with creating these rules & I would encourage everyone to quote them verbatim or he may rise from the dead & put a .45 cal. hole right through your heart.

1. All guns are always loaded.

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4. Identify your target, and what is behind it.

I'm sure most of you already know these rules but if, as a group, everyone on this forum did nothing but teach others to follow these rules at all times what a positive impact that could have.

How many of us have looked down the barrel of a gun held by a friend or acquaintance WHILE their finger was on the trigger?... scary feeling

Amen,
Every person not acquainted with firearms gets this sermon. I show cleared weapons to friends and co-workers and always stress these basic laws of safe firearms handling to newbys or those who fail to observe them. My children knew and understood these fundamental rules before they entered public school.

Back
Top Bottom