• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The "Deadly" 22lr

The only problem with a .22lr is that it's a Caliber vs Time battle OR 1st round Under Pressure head shot vs. Criminals (more forgiving caliber) the Ole Rule still applies, Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, you're NOT guaranteed a Head Shot, moving head probably with any distance. So up close and personal with a .22lr is you're only advantage. To me, that's not an advantage. Sooooooo, why not just get a bigger caliber to help your odds of the Time Battle with distance??? (This is not, pull out your .22lr rifle with scope and snipe him 50yrds away protection concealed carry)
So In my best ole school Batman's Narrative Voice, "Meanwhile....., back in the Criminal's corner, the .45acp is blasting holes your ass!!" Waaa Waaah Waaaaaaaaaah.
I say this, the concealed carry .22lr Rd is ONLY, I repeat should ONLY be a small revolver in pants for the very, VERY last option when the criminal has exhausted all your other options, disarming your primary, backups etc, ...the small revolver and the ONLY (.22lr Advantage Card to be played) will be your up close and personal head shot to escape, ...PERIOD.

OK, in all seriousness...

For those talking about using "Varmint Loads" in there carry 22. I assume that your talking about hyper velocity loads like the CCI Stinger and the Remington Yellowjacket. Now I know first hand that these are nasty little loads and have personally dispatched at lest 2 dogs, 12 squirrels and an old rooster with them. The velocity is so high on these that they tend to fragment. They do nasty damage but dont penetrate very deep. Ive had plenty of people call BS but I have personally shot squirrels in the chest with these and the bullet did NOT exit. Only an entrance wound. When the squirrel was cleaned though I found out that EVERYTHING in the chest cavity was turned to mush. Like a .243 inside a deers chest, nasty damage but maynot exit...

So, do these penetrate deep enough on human attackers? Or does the lose of velocity from a short barreled handgun slow them down enough, out of the the hyper velocity range?

I've learned interesting things about shot placement being married to an RN. Head shot with a 22lr goes in and then turns into a weed wacker whether its a solid point or hollow point. Just ricochet around for awhile. Neck area is another excellent area for any caliber, alot of stuff in that small area, spine, brain stem, and the carotid artery

My sister in laws dogs groomers husband works for an E.R. in Albuquerque New Mexico and he sees people get shot with 22lr that bounced of the ground first and then entered the body and bounced all over the place basically turning peoples insides to mush.

don't think that you can bounce a 22 projectile through a human body enough times to turn it into mush!
Now I will admit that when we responded to a shooting involving a 22 lr that we packed them up and shipped them to a hospital fast cause they could die right in front of you while talking to you from blood loss IF the projectile happened to hit something real vital.
Never picked up a 22 gunshot victim and them be all squissy and floppy or mushy though!
actually most gunshots don't bleed externally a lot, a 22 often you have to search for the entry point to even see IF the person has been shot, its really not like in the Movies or TV!

Back
Top Bottom