• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The difference between price gouging and survival for the LGS

I agree about survival, but how much profit is enough? Please! Don't start with supply and demand or Econ 101.

You must be a liberal democrat, this line of thinking about when people have "enough" is an incredibly dangerous road to go down as almost everyone has "enough". There will always be people living in cardboard houses on the street, eating scraps from restaurants or soup kitchens. Why do you get to make more money than them? Why should they go hungry when you have so much? Surely you can afford to give them food, money, and clothing considering your profit margins on your work is so high. Besides, there are competitors in your line of work that have a smaller profit margin than you. Why should you make more than them when their margins are good enough?

The problem with what I've sarcastically stated and what you genuinely stated is that those who have the power to decide what is "enough" or "fair" never have your best interests at heart.

You should really look into where your mentality leads.

I agree, and I said that I don't have a problem when wholesale cost and supply change. But some stores raised prices before that. It's not just this last event. There were stores that raised prices right after the sandy hook shooting before the supply dropped and their cost increased.
That is called strategic planning. Having been through it in 08 they were aware of what was going to happen. Successful business anticipate not react.

Yes it is because you still have the option to not buy anything on the market. You make the choice to engage and enter the marketplace where goods and services are being sold at the price point for which there are buyers.

A free market still exists despite government policies up until the government mandates the price point for a particular product. Everything the government does, be it threaten to ban or provide a subsidy for, the price will reflect the change as the "Free Market" works to stabilize the new aggregate demand with aggregate supply.

Which is what you are seeing now . . . prices are being raised because the new adjusted demand is higher. Like others have stated in this thread, price point must raise because otherwise items would be sold out as an ignorance to market conditions almost always lead to no items in stock or items never being sold.

Because you don't like the outcome is not enough to relabel the current firearms marketplace as something other than the "free market"

Sorry, not buying that. I accept the supply demand argument and I accept the new normal pricing as a result. But it did not occur naturally. It occurred because of proposed government action. A free market is not at the mercy of government action. It was not a free market that stopped GM from going bankrupt. It was government action. Again, I will take the supply/demand argument and have adjusted my buying and selling accordingly.

I have no comment here... I spent awhile putting together my thoughts on this topic for another thread that got canned by a mod...guess they didn't agree with me... oh well. To each his own, free country, charge what you want, buy where you want... have a nice day.

Definition of 'Free Market'
A market economy based on supply and demand with little or no government control. A completely free market is an idealized form of a market economy where buyers and sellers are allowed to transact freely (i.e. buy/sell/trade) based on a mutual agreement on price without state intervention in the form of taxes, subsidies or regulation.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/freemarket.asp#ixzz2KVsGsV73

I have no comment here... I spent awhile putting together my thoughts on this topic for another thread that got canned by a mod...guess they didn't agree with me... oh well. To each his own, free country, charge what you want, buy where you want... have a nice day.

;)
Wish I had screen shot it, well put on the other thread. LGS, and gun show is one thing. To bring the crap here is another. LGS have to stay profitable to keep the doors open, and have to have margins to do so.

I'm not buying the whol gouging vs survival argument that the OP posted. Why? Because there are a lot of stores, distributors and manufacturers that have NOT raised prices and they are still in business. One very important element that was left out of the OP's scenario is inventory. If you only stock 1000 pieces and you sell 1000 pieces then OK yea you will be in trouble but what store only stocks what they sell? No one. No store completely flips their inventory month to month. You can't use one model for every business because they are all different but I think that gouging is indeed possible. If a LGS charged $100 for a PMAG and they have 200 sitting in a box is that gouging or is that survival? There were people buying them at $100 early January so the obviously the market was bearing that at some point to some degree but I think we all agree that $100 for a 30 round mag is gouging.

I'm also confused as to why so many people are willing to die to keep their 2nd amendment rights but can sit there and say guns are not necessities. If that was the case we should all be OK to give up our guns right? WRONG! To some guns are as much a necessity as clothing. From personal defense to putting food on the table people all over the country rely on guns everyday. So why no I won't die in 7 days if I didn't have one I just might if my house was broken into by 3-5 guns with bats.

;)
Wish I had screen shot it, well put on the other thread. LGS, and gun show is one thing. To bring the crap here is another. LGS have to stay profitable to keep the doors open, and have to have margins to do so.

I agree bro... they are all suffering from lack of product and are the cornerstone of our ability to get the weapons/ammo we need. The government can easily make it difficult to buy guns/ammo online and the big chains can make a political decision to stop selling guns (like ****'s) or ammo...

My recommendation is... find the good gun stores and support em... a few more dollars today is a good investment for the future! And wouldn't you rather have the bucks go to the small business owner that REALLY supports this country and economy (even if the government doesn't!!!)

I know that a local shop here has not raised his prices on ammo as of yet and has most everything but 556. The problem is that he is unable to order any popular ammo or firearms.

I went in to see if he could get me two Walther PPK SS 380 pistols and there are none at any of the dist.

I also know some shops near the TN line who are asking 20 a box for cci mini mags and 60 to 80 for bulk 22lr, Ringgold, Ft O.

If people would keep enough ammo on hand at home to last several months or more they would not have to emtpy the shelves.
Most have their ownselves to blame. I have not had to buy ammo in about 3 years and have enough to last a year or more.

Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom