• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Drudge Report for Gun News!

Yep, popped up on me too. AVG caught it "Blackhole exploit". Don't click that link.

Well that link REALLY screwed up my computer. Microsoft Security Essentials "caught" it but failed. Computer restart on it's own, rebooted into Windows every icon in my start menu is gone. Automatically when Windows loads it says my hard drive is failiing, then automatically runs a "scan" which then redirects me to a website wanting credit card information.

This one is a smart virus/hijack. I can't boot into safe mode, I can't run ANY program once Windows loads, if I attempt literallly 30+ warning windows pop up.

Basically all I can do is nuke the hardrive and do a complete format and Windows reinstall. Thanks again bro.

Wow that sucks!
I had no problems, it worked fine for me, but I used it earlier. Maybe that site had a virus/trojan whatever in the meantime.

Hey folks,

I must say I'm a tad apprehensive to post here, seeing as how one or two of you incurred a real significant problem after visiting our site...not that I can't take the heat, but I wasn't sure if the admins would take issue with it or not. I figure they would not.

But I feel strongly that I owe it to you guys - some sort of explanation to what was going on at our site. I won't post a link since the admin removed the original link, and if it is reposted, I'll defer to the admin to reinstate it's presence.

On Monday, we went viral in two ways. First, we were mentioned on a major internet forum. It made our traffic explode.

The second way we went viral was because of an intentional, malicious act. Within minutes of being introduced on the other forum, someone attacked our site in a major way. We didn't realize what was going on at first because we thought the problems we were experiencing were due to traffic overload. While that was likely part of it, the problems we incurred were due to the attack.

We've been online for just under a year. We've never had a problem like this. And we are truly sorry one or more of you may have had a problem on your system due to a visit at our site. The acts that came at us were quite sophisticated and, while we were able to eliminate the threat within hours, we've spent 2 days proving to all the AV services that the site was fixed while requesting to be removed from the blacklist. The site is now 100% free of problems and we've been removed from all blacklisting that should alert your AV prog. We've boosted the protections we've got and the monitoring is very routine.

Anyway, if you guys would like to give it another go-round, we would love to see you over at our site. If you can't/won't, I understand. I just knew this conversation existed and wanted to chime in and chat with you guys. We are very appreciative that someone mentioned us over here, and hate that it soured.

Well, I suppose I'll close it down and not make it a long-winded post.

Take care, hope to see you around...

Todd
thegunwire

Last edited:
Guys I just went to the site with no problems. Also a note on the virus or trojan that hijacks your computer trying to sell you Additional security protection. I had this happen last year, everytime I tried to either run my virus software or go to a cleaner type website, IE Trend Micro, my computer locked up. A friend loaned me a virus software boot disk where the computer booted from the CD and I was able to run the virus scan from there and did not have to hose my entire hard drive and start over. Just a suggestion for those of you infected that you may want to try before the entire format "C" route.

Good luck

Hey folks,

I must say I'm a tad apprehensive to post here, seeing as how one or two of you incurred a real significant problem after visiting our site...not that I can't take the heat, but I wasn't sure if the admins would take issue with it or not. I figure they would not.

But I feel strongly that I owe it to you guys - some sort of explanation to what was going on at our site. I won't post a link since the admin removed the original link, and if it is reposted, I'll defer to the admin to reinstate it's presence.

On Monday, we went viral in two ways. First, we were mentioned on a major internet forum. It made our traffic explode.

The second way we went viral was because of an intentional, malicious act. Within minutes of being introduced on the other forum, someone attacked our site in a major way. We didn't realize what was going on at first because we thought the problems we were experiencing were due to traffic overload. While that was likely part of it, the problems we incurred were due to the attack.

We've been online for just under a year. We've never had a problem like this. And we are truly sorry one or more of you may have had a problem on your system due to a visit at our site. The acts that came at us were quite sophisticated and, while we were able to eliminate the threat within hours, we've spent 2 days proving to all the AV services that the site was fixed while requesting to be removed from the blacklist. The site is now 100% free of problems and we've been removed from all blacklisting that should alert your AV prog. We've boosted the protections we've got and the monitoring is very routine.

Anyway, if you guys would like to give it another go-round, we would love to see you over at our site. If you can't/won't, I understand. I just knew this conversation existed and wanted to chime in and chat with you guys. We are very appreciative that someone mentioned us over here, and hate that it soured.

Well, I suppose I'll close it down and not make it a long-winded post.

Take care, hope to see you around...

Todd
thegunwire

Thanks for the post. However I've spent the better part of 10 hours trying to fix my computer after visiting your website. Simple fact is my computer is now screwed, thankfully I was able to retrieve my files. However I'm now going to have to spend another 5+ hours reformating and reinstalling Windows all my other programs. Needless to say I won't be back to your website. Not worth the risk.

Thanks for the post. However I've spent the better part of 10 hours trying to fix my computer after visiting your website. Simple fact is my computer is now screwed, thankfully I was able to retrieve my files. However I'm now going to have to spend another 5+ hours reformating and reinstalling Windows all my other programs. Needless to say I won't be back to your website. Not worth the risk.

I understand your not wanting to go back but this site it not the only one that gets viruses, I would invest in some decent Anti Malware / spy ware / virus software or its going to happen again on another site. This stuff is on business sites too. It' happens to us at my office on sites you would think were safe. Gov't sites we use to verify names & SSNs. USPS sites, you'd be amazed at what can appear on sites. Wait til you get the one that's embedded in a picture on a legit webiste. LOL

First attacking the OP for posting a link and then the owner of the site who came to apologize? I think your anger is misplaced.

First attacking the OP for posting a link and then the owner of the site who came to apologize? I think your anger is misplaced.

I've been on the internet since the early 1990's, never had this happen once. Not anger, just frustration. How would you feel if you clicked a link that bypassed your anti virus and malware software and basically nuked your computer?

Back
Top Bottom