• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The guy next door

shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
We plant year round food plots, as well as deer pellets and mineral blocks. Even though we are in a QDMA county, we have managed before it was implemented. We spend a lot of time and money on hunting.
So, an adjoining landowner, who is elderly, gave permission to a niece's husband to hunt his creek bottom. He went in Saturday afternoon and poured out a bag of bait, and a couple of hours later, shot the big nine pointer that I was hunting. Well Dang.
But, He made a long shot with a crossbow, at 7:15 in the evening, in thick cover. Turns out, he hasn't shot the crossbow since last year. He and his friends tracked the deer all over my hunting area until midnight, without my knowledge. Would have been nice to know, before I sat there all Sunday morning.
Anyway, he found plenty of blood, but didn't find the deer. It's gone. I stayed down until this afternoon and looked for the deer and buzzards. I'm not wanting to debate the whole baiting issue, but from my side of the fence, I am not real happy with it.
What a sucky way to start the season.

That’s the breaks of free range deer.move on and find another to hunt.not being a hard ass but don’t let it screw up your season.

Yeah it sucks but it’s the rules of the states property.(deer).
Although they should have got permission from you to trespass.

I have several different hunting spots....many of them in the national forest far far away from any average hunters....in fact I’ve never ran across other hunters where i go but I have seen and picked up beer cans from time to time from days past in some of the more remote areas.

As far as baiting I’m not a fan of it.
I could see if it was late season and you got skunked and really need some good meat in the freezer then go for it since it’s legal but that’s JMO.

I feel your pain though it sucks.

I was hunting a spot in the forest behind a friends cabin.
His neighbor had a cabin next door for 30 years and seemed kinda miffed when I dragged a doe out of there one evening.

He even tried to claim that it was a doe that had two fawns with it because he caught it on camera .....lol.

I was like...”There were five adult does total in the herd along with a few yearlings.”

Anyways he got real miffed when I dragged a hoss of a seven point down the trail one day since he wanted a big buck.
I told him he could have the antlers if he wanted cause I hunt for meat.
Man he was fuming mad....lol.

What was he baiting with?
He said he was using Buck Grub. He also mentioned that he has used it the last couple of years with good results. Hmmmm. Over the five hours that we helped him look for this buck, he said a lot. He also said that was the THIRD time he has tracked deer onto my property. Maybe he should spend money on shooting lessons instead of bait.:D

Back
Top Bottom