• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The last gladiators. Rest in peace gentlemen

I don't disagree with your sentiments but no one here called them heroes. They were referred to as gladiators. You know, slaves who fought for the entertainment of the people.

That is a common misconception. Not all Roman gladiators were slaves. Some of them were free men. In some cases they were very wealthy free men. They didn't fight because they had to or because somebody was forcing them to. They chose to step out onto the arena simply for the thrill and the glory of victory. Whatever it is that makes someone an adrenaline junkie, it is a very deep rooted part of the human spirit.

I don't disagree with your sentiments but no one here called them heroes. They were referred to as gladiators. You know, slaves who fought for the entertainment of the people.

Grocery clerks, nurses, doctors, policemen, etc., are NOT heroes (Covid reference). Combat infantrymen, combat arms who've been under fire and performed brave acts, combat medics, pilots in hot landing zones, firemen who've run into burning structures to save people and animals, those are heroes.

Thanks now I am having flashbacks of all those god awful tik tok doctor/nurse "hero" videos :puke:

Isle of Man races might be over.
Big protests due to no Isle of Woman race.
If no suitable island can be found willing to
change it's name.........

Ever hear of the gladiator with no arms the Romans
threw into the arena with a mad lion?
His name was Claude Maximus

This week is the Isle of Man TT, the most incredible race in the world. For those that don't know, this is a motorcycle race that takes place on public roads and city streets. No safety barriers, no runoff areas, no room for error. Only skill, courage, and speed,

This is one of the last true sports in the world. Unfortunately, it's exciting because it's dangerous. You can't have one without the other.

Mark Purslow, 29, was killed on Wednesday when he crashed his 1000cc superbike at Ballagarey which is one of the fastest corners on the course. He had just set a personal lap record with an average speed of over 120 mph.

View attachment 4370134

Oliver Lavorel, 35, was a passenger on a sidecar team when he and his driver crashed at Ago's Leap which is a rough and technical section of the course immediately after the 150+mph Bray Hill. He died at the scene. His driver, Cesar Chanel, was airlifted to the hospital where he remains in critical condition.
View attachment 4370133

Davy Morgan, 52, had been racing at the Isle of Man since 2002. This was his 20th year racing at the TT. During the 600cc Supersport race yesterday he had a high-speed crash on the mountain section of the course. He died at the scene.

View attachment 4370135

These men were some of the last true gladiators and their courage deserves to be remembered. Rest in peace gentlemen. May you be forever riding.

"Those risk nothing do nothing, achieve nothing, and become nothing."

-David Jeffries
9 time Isle of Man TT winner
I just seen an article that said they had a mistaken identity for the side car crash and its actually Cesar Chanel that was killed and his partner was airlifted.

I just seen an article that said they had a mistaken identity for the side car crash and its actually Cesar Chanel that was killed and his partner was airlifted.

I just saw that as well. As I understand it the crash resulted in a big fireball. If they had trouble identifying the riders that's not a good sign

That is a common misconception. Not all Roman gladiators were slaves. Some of them were free men. In some cases they were very wealthy free men. They didn't fight because they had to or because somebody was forcing them to. They chose to step out onto the arena simply for the thrill and the glory of victory. Whatever it is that makes someone an adrenaline junkie, it is a very deep rooted part of the human spirit.
Thanks, knew that but prefer to think of them as slaves, LOL.

More sad news from the second sidecar race today. Rodger and Bradley Stockton, the father and son sidecar team, had a high-speed crash at Ago's leap just after Bray Hill near the start of the course. Both of them died at the scene.

road-racing-isle-of-man-tt-202-2.jpg

Yeah this is the second fatal sidecar accident at the same part of the course. The section of the road including Ago's Leap has been repaved since the last race in 2019. Apparently something has changed on it. It's a slight ripple in the road right after a huge high-speed downhill straight known as Bray Hill. The superbikes come through this section at about 185mph and the sidecars at about 140 mph. It is surrounded on both sides by brick walls that come right out to the edge of the road. Not a good place to lose control

Back
Top Bottom