• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The "Official" word from the Bureau

HydroAuto

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
17   0
Reaction score
I had contacted my congressman's office regarding a Form 4 that had been sitting out there for a year, as well as a second Form 4 that was submitted more recently. Specifically in response to the 2nd Form 4, the Bureau stated:

The processing time for a perfected ATF Form 4 application is at least 10 months due to a number of factors to include:
- the implementation of the 41F Final Rule, which requires ATF to perform full criminal background checks on all individuals who are identified as a Responsible Persons of a trust or legal entity;
- and, there have been changes to various state laws which have in the past disallowed possession of certain NFA firearms and now those states are enacting legislation which would now allow possession and the volume of silencer transfers has increased tremendously.
Prior to the shutdown the processing time for an ATF Form 4 was 7 months; however, at this time, ATF is experiencing a backlog of over 125,000 applications and therefore the processing time is expected to be in excess of 10 months. ATF has and will expeditiously continue to process these applications to reduce any existing backlog. An unperfected ATF Form 4 that needs corrections will take longer than 10 months to process.

In 2016, ATF received 548,235 applications;
in 2017, ATF received 259,147 applications; and
in 2018, ATF received 339,278 applications.

Please let me know if you have any further questions concerning this constituent. I am always available to assist you with any ATF related matters.

Quite a sway in those annual numbers. Also, no explanation why my 1st Form 4 took a year to clear since I submited a "perfected" form, I'm the only RP on the trust, and there have been no recent changes in GA laws regarding NFA devices.
If they actually perform to their guidelines, the stamp that is still pending (submitted in October) should clear in August. <ugh>

At least the Congressman's office has been polite, responsive and timely.

They got their asses in gear when the HPA was a possibility, funny how the wait times have been climbing ever since the Rino shelved it.

Who wrote that response?

Couldn't say for sure, the Congressman's aide did a decent job of sanitizing the forwarded email.
The header information just says "From: USDOJ" and the footer/signature block has had the name removed but departmental info is:

Legislative Affairs Division
Office of Public and Governmental Affairs
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

I will not be participating in the BS wait times until I see a willingness to process our stamps in a timely and responsible way. I may never get another stamp.

I will not be participating in the BS wait times until I see a willingness to process our stamps in a timely and responsible way. I may never get another stamp.
You will really show them. Dude that is what they want you to do. The nfa owes you nothing.

I continue to buy in defiance. Do I need 20+ suppressors ? Well not inordinately but hey mind your business.

Not buying hurts the silencer industry not the government .

Back
Top Bottom