• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Packhorse

At the end of each day, a few minutes spent thinkin it through and then 30 minutes or so spent along the road to completion of whatever particular step in the overall process happens to be "up" that day.....does a wonderful job clearing the mind and clearing the soul of the days Rat Race events.

Finished making the last part for this project. A shouldered pinch nut to retain the ejector rod housing with minimal movement under heavy recoil.

A section of good La Salle fatigue proof steel. I like it because it makes great pins, screws, firing pins and takes a fine thread that is strong. Polishes decent too.

i.imgur.com_hQ5x4rS.jpg

Turn a nipple in the drill press that fits the drill bushing for a 31 drill. It'll get the hole well centered.

i.imgur.com_g0mGCcU.jpg

Install the steel rod, nipple first in the drilling jig and drill the 31 hole to whatever depth is needed.

i.imgur.com_CcCqH9c.jpg

Nipple is gone and the tap size hole is properly centered.

i.imgur.com_vRmpqY6.jpg

I tapped the threads with a bottoming tap using the drill guide for a 28 drill to guide the tap into the 31 hole.

i.imgur.com_IGC3Nur.jpg

Now, turn a shoulder in the bottom of the pinch nut that just fits the hole in the bottom of the ejector rod housing.

i.imgur.com_5gzXq81.jpg

Then in the drill press I turned (filed) the 1/4" major diameter of the pinch nut.

i.imgur.com_2qAFHd6.jpg

After shortening the shoulder and the head of the screw to the proper lengths, I place the pinch nut in a 1/4" dia hole and neatly saw in the screwdriver slot.

i.imgur.com_gTAUhLq.jpg

Final polish of the pinch nut, check fit, some bluing and finally.......Packhorse is ready for testing at the range!

i.imgur.com_G0ntm6d.jpg

Its a long way from a hack barreled gun with a screw sticking down into the bore! Some shooting time and some wait time to monitor the brown and I'll call it done, likely in a week or so.

Took the Packhorse out for a ride today and what a ride! Recoil is firm but manageable and straight back. No torque with the long Bisley hammer. Everything worked great.

I took a few shots at 15 yards and then went to steel. Plenty of range in the sight set up. I believe it is hitting a bit low for me at 15 but no bench today, all off hand. A lot of work on the steel and from the marks at 20 yards, the bullet is rising back to close to point of aim. Will have to try some other ammo.

Only had one glitch. Pesky cylinder pin rotates slightly when you release it. Makes it hard to remove. I'll need to go back and knock a bit more of the wing on its head or better, install one of the cylinder pins that are cut full circumference and have no wing. I had it in and out quite a bit before shooting and it worked fine but that's what range time is for.....find the last of the needed tweaks and get them done.

Not too bad for me. I think this one will out shoot me. Its pure hell on the steels and loud too!
i.imgur.com_ZfiiBYC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom