• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Packhorse

Been rusted 4 times now. Last sit was overnight at 80% humidity and about 80 to 90 degrees F or whatever temp the crock pot on low setting adds to the damp box, plenty warm.

After each rusting session, its scrubbed down with hot tap water and a rough terry cloth. I stopped using the 0000 steel wool after the second rusting as the finish was evening up fine I'm going for a more aggressive (textured) finish.

Probably a couple more sessions today with the rusting and cleaning. Its not looking like much now but once its in the oil and sealed in beeswax it'll look like every fine muzzleloader. I'm anxious to start the rust blackening of the other parts that will attach to the frame and barrel. Ol Rusty looks good in two tone and this here Packhorse should as well.....specially with the brass accents.....

i.imgur.com_8JOf6zs.jpg

i.imgur.com_0LXvf86.jpg

The bore is not provided special protection, no plugs, no laquer, no oil. Simply a dry patch after each scrubbing and not putting Laurel Mountain in it. Its perfect, smooth and bright and will stay that way. The final touch will be one turn of the crowning cutter to remove the brown finish down in the 11 degree target crown. Leaving a silver ring, surrounded by a brown ring.

i.imgur.com_a3tixmN.jpg

After about 6 rustings over a little longer than 24 hours.

It looks ruined. But, it ain't.

i.imgur.com_Afg3Z7s.jpg

A thorough scrubbing with hot tap water and lots of baking soda to smooth the finish and deactivate any remaining browning solution.

i.imgur.com_OvfELn6.jpg

After rinsing the browned gun is warmed through and then completely saturated in clean motor oil.

i.imgur.com_O7fBsoQ.jpg

I'll give it about a 30 minute to one hour soak then wipe it down and start coating it with hoppes gun oil tomorrow. I'll oil it daily while polishing and blackening the remaining parts. Before final assembly, I'll wipe it down dry and then after warming again, treat it to a good soaking in my favorite muzzleloader lube, 50/50 beeswax/vasoline.

i.imgur.com_ETGMQMq.jpg

A good finish. I'll keep wiping it with oil for several days and finish it out with the beeswax later. For now, some quick pics in natural light to highlight the texture. All the pits and freckling along the top strap are totally hidden. Color will even up and deepen as the oil go's in and the wax soaks in over top of that yet. Overall, it will be a nice satin brown and black when done. I left the ruger blue on the hammer, trigger and pins/screws. A bit of shine to set them off.

i.imgur.com_DjStWqv.jpg

i.imgur.com_Wlocx2x.jpg

These parts polished, (120g to remove most of the freckling and help hid any deeper pitting that doesn't come out) and ready for blackening.

i.imgur.com_uzP5y7N.jpg

First wet coat of Pilkingtons on and into the damp box for 1 hour to get em started.....meantime, I gotta make up some kind of hanger for some of it.

i.imgur.com_kf6OTPV.jpg

I stopped bluing on the grip and cylinder after the first rust. Pilkingtons, unlike Laurel Mountain Forge, has no degreaser. Evidently I didn't get them clean enough and they streaked and spotted. I'll strip and reblue next week. In the meantime, the smaller parts, ERH, Sight ramp, gate, etc, all are moving right along and should be done and ready for oil and assembly tonight or tomorrow morning. Progress.......another step closer to the range and the hunting fields.

A project that is an exercise in contradictions. Too many holes in the barrel. Brown and black. Silver and brass. Coarse and smooth. Short and tall. So far, I think its working good.

Blackening the small parts is done. Carded and oiled and all of it, including the browned frame and barrel, warmed to ouch temperature and saturated in 50/50 beeswax/Vaseline.

Grip and cylinder next week and then off to the range for test firing and initial sighting. Perhaps even a velocity check with good Parvi ammunition now the bullet speedometer appears to be functional....finicky but functional.

The little bits rust blackened and oiled.

i.imgur.com_HbuZpwv.jpg

Left side

i.imgur.com_eFPMH5z.jpg

Right side

i.imgur.com_Zfs2Dz5.jpg

Roman nose

i.imgur.com_6DeTP0f.jpg

Business end

i.imgur.com_z83WJQw.jpg

More of the brown and black, coarse and smooth contrast.

i.imgur.com_E6CNcrA.jpg

NEGC elevation adjustable front sight and Ruger Hunter rear with tall blade.

i.imgur.com_taTgAxN.jpg

Brass Patrige Blade

i.imgur.com_8IP0pnw.jpg

Shooters eye view including scallops and back cut loading gate.

i.imgur.com_q00F1SJ.jpg

Back from Ol Kantuk and cleaned up the cylinder and grip frame one more time....back to bright metal and degreased again with alcohol. The bluing is taking well and streak free this go round. Second boil was this morning and I think I should be ready for final assembly this week some time.

Back
Top Bottom