• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

"The talk"....

I'm glad I have a son and not a daughter. Will make the talk a lot easier for me. He's only 7 so I have some time. HOWEVER we talk about a lot of stuff, I don't want him to ever feel that he can't ask me anything. Communication is good.

--- edit ---

Actually this kind of came up 2 days ago. We were driving to school and he asked me how "mommy" could of had "sissy" when her dad and my son's mom were not married. My son is 7 and his sister almost 20. I told him people should be married before they have kids, but some decide not to. Seemed to satisfy his question for now.

Last edited:
Just had to pay for 2 to go to the school fall dance this morning but only my son (age 12) is mine, he wanted to pay for his girlfriend. And it already starts.......

Had "the talk" with him a couple weeks ago, it was fairly painless.

Me: Ya know that stuff ya see on Showtime when I forget to turn the TV off at 10:00?

Him: Yes sir.

Me: Well, it might look fun and all but in real life if you do that then your asking for a world of problems. Having a pregnated girlfriend is just one of them, there's diseases out there ya can get from that that can't be cured, it'll kill you. You're only 12, so I'm not going to go into a whole bunch of details now, if you have any questions, just ask. All you need to know for now is you're 12yrs old and have plenty of time for sex later on, all you need to concentrate on is keeping your pecker in your pants except to take a leak. We'll be rehashing this in alot more detail when you get your drivers permit. Do you understand?

Him: Yes sir, are we going hunting in the morning?

This was the response I didn't mind hearing. I never recieved this kind of talk back when I was his age, so I had to more or less wing it.

Nick T

My Dad went old school with me. Broke out the Penthouse and started explaining the female anatomy then went into great detail on the entire process but left out some key information in hindsight regarding what girls actually enjoy the most.

Had it with my son at age 12 (he's 16 now). You'd be surprised what they already know and even more surprised by the amount of wrong information they have regarding sex and the female body in general. If you go into it nervous and closed minded it hurts no one but him in the long run. Your job as his Dad is to provide him with all your knowledge so he can make informed decisions and be prepared for the next step in his life. So put any uncomfortable feelings you have yourself on the shelf and teach him what he needs to know. Approach it just like teaching firearms training but let him participate and ask questions if he's curious about things. Nothing is off the table for this discussion.

This discussion will set the stage for him feeling comfortable coming to you in the future on this subject material and that is what being a parent is all about.

Good luck earning your next Dad badge. It's a big one.

My dad put a lot of effort in it. Avoided any questions I had growing up and when I was a 13 asked me after a lot of Um, Err and throat clearing " do you know about this sex stuff" ? Good grief, after all that I was surprised He knew about it.

My Dad went old school with me. Broke out the Penthouse and started explaining the female anatomy then went into great detail on the entire process but left out some key information in hindsight regarding what girls actually enjoy the most.

Had it with my son at age 12 (he's 16 now). You'd be surprised what they already know and even more surprised by the amount of wrong information they have regarding sex and the female body in general. If you go into it nervous and closed minded it hurts no one but him in the long run. Your job as his Dad is to provide him with all your knowledge so he can make informed decisions and be prepared for the next step in his life. So put any uncomfortable feelings you have yourself on the shelf and teach him what he needs to know. Approach it just like teaching firearms training but let him participate and ask questions if he's curious about things. Nothing is off the table for this discussion.

This discussion will set the stage for him feeling comfortable coming to you in the future on this subject material and that is what being a parent is all about.

Good luck earning your next Dad badge. It's a big one.
To be clear, I'm not uncomfortable telling him anything he wants to know, at all. I'm very glad he's coming to his parents for info. I'm more saddened than anything, as it certainly is a milestone in life and another sign of the passage of time. He's our only child (and will be). Sort of feel like everything has been a hyperspeed blur... :grey:

- - - Updated - - -

My dad put a lot of effort in it. Avoided any questions I had growing up and when I was a 13 asked me after a lot of Um, Err and throat clearing " do you know about this sex stuff" ? Good grief, after all that I was surprised He knew about it.
:cool:

No joke: I came home from school one day in Junior High and there was a Penthouse lying smack in the middle of the dining room table and both parents were outside doing various odd jobs.
That's one method I guess.

No talk from my Dad and I didnt have to with my only son... At 14 1/2 one of his x-girl friends claimd he was the daddy of her soon to be baby:bolt:
As it were he wasnt and she wasnt....:pray2:

Read somewhere the definition of "Vagina" It's a part of a women that you fight to get out of when you are born... and fight the rest of your male life to get in.

No joke: I came home from school one day in Junior High and there was a Penthouse lying smack in the middle of the dining room table and both parents were outside doing various odd jobs.
That's one method I guess.
Were they within ear shot of the neighbors? You could have walked outside with it and had some fun at their expense.... :)

I have to admit the talk was way easier with my son! So with my daughter I did what all cool dad's would do! We text each other from our bedrooms for about an hour and after realizing she is one smart kid with a great head on her shoulder I walked in her room and told her how proud I am and how much I love her and then said " I am glad we had this text"!!!!!! She said me too dad thanks and you don't have to worry!!!!!!!!!!!

I am blessed to have the kids God brought before me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember my dad having the talk with me and I tried my best to record it, but he was not about to let me do that. Thanks to the internet the kids have so much info right there in front of them and probably already know more than we do.

Back
Top Bottom