• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Things your Grandfather taught you!

I barely knew my grandfathers. One of them was a navigator on a bomber and he flew 30 missions over Germany. The only memory I have of him is of him playing tinker toys with me and showing me what an airplane propeller looked like when it was spinning. I was 4 years old. I never forgot that and I really wish that he could have seen that I became a pilot.

My other grandfather was an Army officer in an artillery unit attached to the Marines in the Pacific. He was on Saipan and Okinawa. He never told me very much about his experiences but one time he refused to eat a pot roast that my grandma had overcooked. He said it smelled like a dead Jap. I have his officers sword hanging in my office.

I grew up in RI until I was 18. Gramps was a fisherman and taught me how to catch strippers off the breachways using live eels, flounder using sand worms, free diving for lobsters, quahauging, scalloping, and little neck clams. He smoked Lucky Strikes from the age of 8 and passed of cancer at 84. Quiet man unless you were talking fishing.

Mine taught me he that he favored my cousin over me.. every time I was there
Didn’t know my other grand father.. he was gone long before I came along

I learnt a lot from my grandfather. I was fortunate that he lived to a ripe old age.
He was a newspaper man, fought in France in WW1, a war correspondent and later a newspaper editor.
One of the most important lessons that he taught me was to never trust anything you hear and only half of what you see, verify everything.
He also used to say that "If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself". That's the one I didn't listen too unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom