• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Things your Grandfather taught you!

Never had a grandfather. Both died before I was born.
Mine were not "in my life" to any degree. My step-grandfather (dad's mom remarried) was awesome. WWII glider troop veteran, D-Day, etc. Never saw his own grandkids much around the farm but Mr. Charles would take us hunting all over creation. Taught me to wing shoot. Loved him and was crushed when he got brain cancer and died two months before my commissioning. Also gave me a very healthy fear of the horror show that a V.A. Hospital can be.

Mine taught me to be the kind of man that when you tell someone something you do what you tell them ! Blood is thicker than water and family is important! Learned about farming and that hard work pays off from my grandfather on mom’s side . Never heard him cuss or speak bad about anyone or complain and he tried to instill these quality’s in me ! I remember he always read his bible and prayed before bed and blessings were asked over each meal. My dads father was killed in 1962 when I was 6 years old, I remember he always wore a suit and hat and smoked big cigars and would give me a silver dollar when he came by the house! I still have them and I have his pocket watch.

Mine taught me to be the kind of man that when you tell someone something you do what you tell them ! Blood is thicker than water and family is important! Learned about farming and that hard work pays off from my grandfather on mom’s side . Never heard him cuss or speak bad about anyone or complain and he tried to instill these quality’s in me ! I remember he always read his bible and prayed before bed and blessings were asked over each meal. My dads father was killed in 1962 when I was 6 years old, I remember he always wore a suit and hat and smoked big cigars and would give me a silver dollar when he came by the house! I still have them and I have his pocket watch.
I got my love of cigars from mine. After he died my brother got his wrist watch that he always wore and a few years later he gave it to me. It then set in my junk drawer for 40 years until one day I cleaned it out and found the old watch.
I took it out and started playing with it and the old thing started working.
I took it to the jeweler had it cleaned and a new crystal installed and for a few years now it has been my Sunday go to meeting watch. It's not fancy but it's a physical link to the man I most admired.
20180329_141709.jpg

I never knew my real grandads. I had a step grandad that would hand me a coffee can full of the old firecrackers, the kind that actually went boom. I would light them off his cigarette while he drank pbr.
Booom. Hed smile and laugh every time.
I was probably ten.

A lot of things my grandfather could have taught me and didn't. Looking back I wish I had had the foresight to ask him to teach me.
This whole tread and your post in particular made me think of this song.
Sadly most of us don't realize the wealth of knowledge that we let slip through our fingers in the arrogance and ignorance of our youth.

That every hand you shake has at some point held a dick! I've passed this important piece of knowledge on too mu Grandchildren....

Don’t take a leak on an electric fence.
It's really not that bad even at full stream. My so called friend dared me to do it when I was a kid and you know how that goes. It's ok in our next bb gun war I shot him between the eyes and made him look hindu for a few days.

Mine taught me the hard way to enjoy life. He stroked out 2 days before he retired. He worked 6 days a week around the clock most of his life. It meant nothing and the stress and anxiety killed him.

Back
Top Bottom