• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Things your Grandfather taught you!

"If you can't whup him, find something to whup him". I used this advise when I was 9 years old. We had just moved to NC from GA. 5 neighborhood boys decided they were going to show me they were the bosses of the neighborhood. They started hitting and kicking me, but I got loose and grabbed my Louisville slugger. Sent 2 to the hospital. They never messed with me again.

My grandfather on my mothers side died when mom was young from a stroke. My dad’s dad lived in Scottsbluff Nebraska and i would go goose hunting on the North Platte River with him. I always felt grandad was kept at a distance from my brother and I and I found out why when he came to Oklahoma to live with us as he died. My grandfather was the Imperial Wizard and Grand Dragon of the Arkansas KKK clan during his college years. He was a helluva football player and was starting fullback for Arkansas and even won a cotton bowl ring there. When he came to live with us he was bed ridden and he would have me come sit on his bed in the evenings and tell me stories that no 10 year old really wanted to hear. He would hook my leg with his cane and pull me close to him and say “son, you need to listen real good about what I’m gonna say. You got to kill these n@#$@rs. They are gonna drink your whiskey and screw your women and will pollute our race. You listening to me boy? You gotta carry the torch and kill ‘em!” I would lay in bed and hear my mom and dad arguing. She would say “John you have to tell Jack to quit telling the boys all this stuff. Things are different now and it’s a different time in society.” Dad would reassure her by saying “Honey, we raised the boys to know what’s right and wrong. They know racism isn’t a good thing and they will be okay. Dad is about to die and we can’t change him now. Let him die in peace.” Grandad died in our spare bedroom 9 days later with all of us at his side. First person I watched die and I was 10 years old. I loved him for being my grandad but not what he believed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also didn’t know one of them but my moms dad lived till i was 31. Was also WW1 vet and in France.
He used to say A wants the cheapest thing you will ever have.
He also never talked bad about folks. The thing he’d say was. He just won’t do and you knew what he meant.
He farmed most of his life and I do still miss him.

Never had a relationship or really even spoke more than 3 words at a time with any of my grandparents. Mom was southern and dad was from up north. Both sides of the family despised each other along with my brothers and I for simply being spawned by a ***damn yankee and a barefoot hill-billy(their words). One grand father was a stick up his ass well educated yankee and the other was a tobacco chawing red neck jerk. Don't even get me started on grand mothers
My dad told me once the only way to get a ****ty job done is to just do it, so there's that

Back
Top Bottom