• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking About 5.45x39

unclear.six

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
202   1
Reaction score
Thinking about swapping one of my 7.62x39s for a 5.45, which I know nothing about.

Any advise is appreciated, the only thing is I'm not interested in AR's AK only.

I would assume that the 5.45 would have less recoil, higher velocity, and would think it would be more accurate. The value of the ammo and being able to stay in an AK platform is what really appeals to me. Would love to hear your personal experiences.

Accuracy greatly increases. I have an Interarms Bulgarian build and it is flawless. Recoil is light but there's a little to keep you honest. Stock up on Polish and Bulgarian mags, as well as Russian Surplus Ammo (7N6) and you have a rifle for life. Good to GO!!

I'd have to give a +1 to strider12's comments. Accuracy increases, recoil decreases (from 7.62). There are still plenty of good surplus mags out there for 5.45, just not as cheap as the 7.62 mags. Plenty of choices of surplus, as well as non-corrosive ammo available. Heck, there's even Hornady steel cased VMAX in 5.45x39.

I'm completely bought into the 5.45 now, with a Bulgy '74 and my newest rifle, the SGL31. Doesn't mean I'll give up on the 7.62 AK's, just a different flavor!

You may have heard that if you are shooting corrosive milsurp they're a ***** to clean. Trick I learned? After you're done shooting milsurp, shoot 5 rounds of regular ammo. It blows out A LOT of the salts. I don't even run water down the barrel, I just use Ballistol. the bore shines like the sun.

You may have heard that if you are shooting corrosive milsurp they're a ***** to clean. Trick I learned? After you're done shooting milsurp, shoot 5 rounds of regular ammo. It blows out A LOT of the salts. I don't even run water down the barrel, I just use Ballistol. the bore shines like the sun.

That should come in handy with my Nagants as well, thanks!

My Century Arms Romanian WASR shoots great, accurate and ultra reliable.

Fit and finish is crap, dust cover has to be the cheapest stamped piece of metal I’ve ever seen on a real weapon. Non standard NATO stock makes the gun short, which is good for shorter people or kids (and yes I let my kids shoot it under close supervision) but for regular adults it easy to grab the gas tube and burn yourself quite nicely.

If you put a vertical grip on it, make sure its metal as plastic will melt right off after a few mags bump firing.

Oh yes, with the smaller round you can bump fire it super easy with some accuracy.

Very little kick, more of as right hand twisting motion so it’s great for letting newbie’s try it out.

It’s only about 16-17 cents a round to shoot but you need to stock up on ammo because other than expensive Hornady stuff it’s all steel case Russian imported ammo.

Once the Obomination in Chief gets reelected he might cut that off totally and we’d be screwed.

I'm completely into this round. Shooting Russian 7N6 I do find some variability among rounds. Out of 30 rounds I tried inserting into the muzzle end (poor man's diameter check?) I found 2 that went all the way to the steel case, 2 that had about 1/16-3/32" clearance, and the rest fell somewhere in-between. But when it's so cheap to shoot, what's an extra shot here or there to hit your target?

Back
Top Bottom