• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thinking of starting to reload

I use a lee pro 1000. But I only do 1 caliber.. If I was going to do more than 1 caliber I would use a Dillon 550.. http://youtu.be/10BKCacFTFw
once you have all your materials then you will see some savings,but at first you will wonder if it was worth all the hassle.. If possible watch someone who has a press and can show you the do's and dont's. I've foundf that all veteran Reloaders are willing to help a first timer get started and a Reloaders who has ran into some problems

Why no love for the Hornady LnL progressive?

It is my personal belief that you should start reloading with a single stage press. Having multiple steps to the process is an invitation to trouble. But the LNL is an awesome press. However even if you do upgrade to a progressive press, there are still plenty of uses for a single stage press and it really depends what you are reloading for whether it be for accuracy or just cheap plinking ammo.

It is my personal belief that you should start reloading with a single stage press. Having multiple steps to the process is an invitation to trouble. But the LNL is an awesome press. However even if you do upgrade to a progressive press, there are still plenty of uses for a single stage press and it really depends what you are reloading for whether it be for accuracy or just cheap plinking ammo.

I bought the hornady with the idea to load for practice but havent done anything but mount it to a bench. Is there anyone on the southside Henry County that is willing to share there knowledge as a mentor? I would be more than willing to trade ammo for help. .17hrm, 22lr, 380, 9mm, .45acp, 223 or 7.62. Im also a member at griffin gun club and can offer range time as a guest.

You don't need to spend a grand to get a good start. Buy a lee turret press kit and start with the 9mm. Its easy and a good way to start.

I think you can get everything you need and supplies for a lot less than $1000.

You don't need to spend a grand to get a good start. Buy a lee turret press kit and start with the 9mm. Its easy and a good way to start.

I agree with both of these. I'm still new to reloading (1,000 rounds loaded so far) and I started with a Lee single stage press. I wish I would have got a Lee turret press as you can still learn using it in single stage mode and then load a lot faster when ready. Most online retailers have the 4-hole turret press at $100 bucks. I spent a little over $500 dollars to get started and loaded 500 rounds. Now that I've loaded another 500 rounds I have broken even with my initial investment as the per round cost is about the same as retail now. Of course there was a lot of time and a little frustration put into it but totally worth it. Good hobby!

Last edited:
Reloading from a money aspect Investment depends on how much you shoot, Return on investment depends on how much you shoot

Reloading from a hobby aspect depend on your free time and what you enjoy

I started to save money 3 shooters in the house we were going through 500-600 rounds of something every week.
Reloading saving after initial investment is around a 40% savings

But I found I enjoy the hobby and can make very nice rifle round for less. And with my 650 with all the auto accessories I can do 300 to 400 pistol round in an hour

I have both single and progressive and each has its place. But now my house looks more like a ammo factory, bullets, brass and powder everywhere

Back
Top Bottom