• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thinking of starting to reload

I started loading on a Lee Anniversary kit when I was a teen. I think it was $79. I loaded enough ammo on that cheep press to fight a small war. I've helped several friends get set up for a few hundred dollars. It is not that expensive. Reloading is a very rewarding hobby, especially for the long range precision shooter.

What do you need help with? Start with getting a reloading manual like Hornady or Lyman's. Also check out the book ABCs of reloading.

+1 fpr the ABC's of reloading! Great book. covers a LOT of ground.

The most important thing is to read a lot! Don't jump into it after watching a youtube video or two (although there are some good ones.) There are a lot of things to know-and don't pull that handle until you can do it safely.

I have been thinking of beginning to reload for .223/6.8spc/.308/.45acp/9mm. Found what seems to be a deal on a press and accesories was wanting some real opinions on the press and other items that I may need to begin. here is the press I found hard to pass right now for $213 shipped after 30% off.

http://tigeroutfitters.com/reloadin...s/09287-rcbs-explorer-plus-reloading-kit.html

Here is on listed on here. That's a good deal if you can get pics.
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/thr...-reloading-kit

I bought the hornady with the idea to load for practice but havent done anything but mount it to a bench. Is there anyone on the southside Henry County that is willing to share there knowledge as a mentor? I would be more than willing to trade ammo for help. .17hrm, 22lr, 380, 9mm, .45acp, 223 or 7.62. Im also a member at griffin gun club and can offer range time as a guest.

well I'm not close but I am pretty good with the lock and load ammo plant. Had one for a couple years. I must say though that I also have a Dillon 650. I used to think I was a hornady guy ! Now it's blue or nothing when I comes to progressive.

would be happy to help any way I can. Your not that far away.

To get started and do it right you will spend close to a grand on equipment. Save the money and buy more ammo if you are just trying to save money..

If you are looking to make it a hobby then spend the cash and get started. It can be a rewarding hobby.

Bull shat.

If you are starting out, get with someone who has been reloading for a while,

Watch to see how precise they do things,

Make sure while learning, all media devices are off, no noise, just pure focus on what you are doing,

Ask a lot of questions, and read, read, read, and read again,

Then just focus on (1) caliber at a time, reload it over, over and over, until you get your system that works for you. Then use those steps each and every time.

We use only DILLON, buy it one time and done...

Get the cv2000, tumbler, we finally wore ours out after 30 years of use, sent it in and they sold me a new one for $120.00, complete. DILLON, the one to get things done with...

There are some very good reloaders on here, and there are some classes on here also.

ODT, has some very good knowledge available to you. Its a tool use it wisely...................

Just a suggestion....................

not a bad kit, the digital scale has me a bit worried. i like beam scales but im sure the digitals do just as well.

calipers, buy from harbor freight. $10-$15 with coupon. its the same one lyman and rcbs sell for $50.

tumbler/ultrasonic. personal preference, i like dry media. clean brass saves wear and tear on your dies. if you choose to go ultra, look at harbor freight and lyman...same one again.

dies. i like lee since you can get most calibers with a shellholder for a decent price. anything precision though goes to redding.

Back
Top Bottom