• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This looks pretty cool... Ruger American Rifle in 7.62x39

The primers on the steel case ammo are harder, aren't they? I also read that steel case 7.62x39 in a bolt gun was harder on the extractor. Again, no real world experience, I was just wondering based on what I read on the Internet. If it's on the internet, it's got to be true, right?

The primers on the steel case ammo are harder, aren't they? I also read that steel case 7.62x39 in a bolt gun was harder on the extractor. Again, no real world experience, I was just wondering based on what I read on the Internet. If it's on the internet, it's got to be true, right?

Some of the surplus stuff I've shot seems to have harder primers, but most of the commercial stuff like Wolf and Tul seem to be pretty standard.

The cases will wear the extractor a bit more than brass would. But the cases are relatively soft steel and the extractor is pretty tough, and easily replaced if it does wear too much. My guess is it would be several thousand rounds before you would even come close to having an issue.

The biggest issue with most steel ammo is the bullet construction. They tend to have a lead core with a steel jacket around it, covered with a thin 'wash' of copper. It's not a real copper jacket so the rifling actually engages the steel jacket below it. This (soft) steel on (hard) steel contact wears a barrel faster than using softer metals like lead and copper. Lucky Gunner did a test years ago that showed using ammo with these steel-clad bullets could cut barrel life in half on the AR platform.

That was still roughly 5,000 rounds though, so the 'normal' shooter will probably never get to that point, especially in a bolt gun. An AR the barrel is easily replaced and really should be considered a 'wear item' like brakes or wipers on a car. I don't know how hard it would be to replace the barrel in this rifle, but if you are the original owner, you could probably just send it back for warranty replacement. Ruger is good like that.

Per the video review and range report posted by Spencer 60, this rifle will shoot both Hornady ammo and Wolf ammo the same-- 1.25" at 100 yards--- that's impressive!

I'm glad to see that even though this is a bolt action rifle made to be used with a magnifying scope, it's not going to be handicapped if you choose to feed the same cheap ammo through it that we all use in our AK's and SKS's.

Spencer60, thank you for clarifying that for me. I'll definitely be looking at one of these for a deer rifle. I love being able to buy the cheap ammo, I could let my boy shoot all he wants and not break the bank.

I wasn't sure what this meant at first... I'd assumed that 7.62 was all the same.

It seems like that would be the way to go, since a .311 barrel would be sloppy with SAMMI-spec rounds. I wonder what Ruger decided on?

I found this on THR, from former Ruger designer Ed Harris. From what he says the SAMMI spec incorporates using .311" bullets in .308" barrels...

-- Ed Harris wrote:

During the development of the Ruger Mini Thirty the chamber we used
was derived from prints provided by the Lapua Cartridge Factory in
Finland which made our proof ammunition. JGS has these prints and
can provide tools under the designator 7.62x39 LAPUA. This is very
similar to the CIP (equivalent of SAAMI in the EU), but held towards
the minimum tolerance. Ball seat diameter is 0.3114" with a Mauser-
style long gradual forcing cone of about 1 degree included angle,
with no cylindrical ball seat.

The SAAMI print which was standardized is derived from the CIP and
uses the gradual angle to mitigate excessive chamber pressures if European
ammunition with bullet diameters of up to .311" is used in American
barrels with .308" groove diameters.
Reducing barrel groove diameter
from .310 to .308 does raise pressure slightly, by about 5,000 cup,
but remains well under 50,000 cup within the design limits of modern
rifles.

The Lee and NEI bullets which i designed for the 7.62x39 were
developed to fit the CIP-SAAMI-LAPUA type chambers, but NOT the
Chinese ones!

The SAAMI-CIP is quite different from the chambers used in Chinese AK
andSKS rifles. These have no cylindrical ball seat at all, but simply an
angle taken from the .336" neck diameter with a very long neck, like a
WWII .303 British "trench chamber." Not conducive to best accuracy.
USSR, Yugo and East German SKS rifles have chambers which more closely
resemble the CIP.

FWIW

ruger_hosted.s3.amazonaws.com_email_customerService_csAppHeader.png

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Replies to this email are not monitored. If you need to follow-up on this request, please use this link.

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10034292

Mr. xxx,

Thank you for your inquiry. We are currently producing our 7.62 x 39 barrels to SAAMI specification. This means that the bore diameter is 0.300 and the groove diameter is 0.311.

Thank you for your interest in Ruger Firearms.

Ruger Customer Service

Please note: this email is sent by an automated system from an account that is not monitored. Responses to this email will not be seen. If you need to follow up regarding your issue, please use the customer service form on the Ruger.com website or you can contact a customer service representative via telephone at 336-949-5200.

Back
Top Bottom