• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This looks pretty cool... Ruger American Rifle in 7.62x39

Yeah, there was one for the low $400s but the rest were a little steep. That being said, they were only announced yesterday I think. In a few weeks they should be selling for what the rest do.

I wonder if the barrel is 308 or 311?

I wasn't sure what this meant at first... I'd assumed that 7.62 was all the same.

After reading about it on the CZ website it became a little clearer.

"Built to CIP specifications, our 7.62×39 chambers are ideal for shooting steel-cased surplus ammo. Designed to shoot .311 bullets, some American brass ammo may not perform as well as the imported steel-cased variety because of SAAMI brass dimensions and varying bullet diameters."

So SAMMI spec is using the smaller .308 bullets, correct?

It seems like that would be the way to go, since a .311 barrel would be sloppy with SAMMI-spec rounds. I wonder what Ruger decided on?

I wasn't sure what this meant at first... I'd assumed that 7.62 was all the same.

After reading about it on the CZ website it became a little clearer.

"Built to CIP specifications, our 7.62×39 chambers are ideal for shooting steel-cased surplus ammo. Designed to shoot .311 bullets, some American brass ammo may not perform as well as the imported steel-cased variety because of SAAMI brass dimensions and varying bullet diameters."

So SAMMI spec is using the smaller .308 bullets, correct?

It seems like that would be the way to go, since a .311 barrel would be sloppy with SAMMI-spec rounds. I wonder what Ruger decided on?
If it's .311 im in ,but if I had to buy high dollar brass cased ammo ,probably not :(

I would think it would be better as .308.

Being a little undersized for .311 rounds won't hurt anything, but going the other way, with a .308 bullets and a .311 muzzle would lose accuracy.

Or am I missing something here?

Either way, the Ruger video above showed Hornady and Wolf steel being used, so they definitely plan for that. the video just below talks about ammo, and it sounds like anything available today will work well in it.

I would think it would be better as .308.

Being a little undersized for .311 rounds won't hurt anything, but going the other way, with a .308 bullets and a .311 muzzle would lose accuracy.

Or am I missing something here?

Either way, the Ruger video above showed Hornady and Wolf steel being used, so they definitely plan for that. the video just below talks about ammo, and it sounds like anything available today will work well in it.

X39 shoots .311 so .311 would get the best results.

Back
Top Bottom