• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts in 18” 6.5 Creedmoor Gas Gun

wpalm00

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
Any of you guys with 6.5CM experience run 18” gas guns? Seems everybody is running 20” and longer. Will I be loosing all that much with an 18”? I plan to run it with a can the majority of the time so I don’t really want a 20, 22 or 24” barrel just to get respectable velocity out of a 6.5. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think no more than 1k yds. The rig is a LMT 308 with a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 and Dead Air Sandman-S. It’s not exactly a precision rig.

LMT sells a 20” stainless barrel that I was going to have cut back to 18”.

I’m trying to find the sweet spot between ridiculously long AR and too short to see the benefit of the 6.5cm.

I would think no more than 1k yds. The rig is a LMT 308 with a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 and Dead Air Sandman-S. It’s not exactly a precision rig.

LMT sells a 20” stainless barrel that I was going to have cut back to 18”.

I’m trying to find the sweet spot between ridiculously long AR and too short to see the benefit of the 6.5cm.

An 18” 6.5CM gas gun will do 1,000yds easily. It will take a little more adjustment, but still easy.

Do you think at 18” that I’ll be loosing the advantages the 6.5 has over the 308?

That would depend on what barrel length the .308 is, and what loads you’re shooting from both calibers.

Hitting steel at 1,000yds with a good .308 is very easy. I teach students to do it on a regular basis. I have students do it with barrel as short as 16” in a .308, so I don’t see anyone having issues with an 18” 6.5CM.

I’m trying to remember if I’ve had a student run an 18” 6.5CM gas gun, but I can’t remember. I’m still seeing 6.5’s in small numbers, and all the rifles tend to run together in my mind.

Here’s some test data on cutting back a 6.5CM from 27”-16”, in 1” increments.
https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-...el-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/

That’s funny. That’s actually the article that got my wheels turning on this whole project.

I think you’ll see the same happen with 6.5CM that happened with the .308; over the years the barrels will get shorter and shorter.

Even with the shorter barrel, the 6.5 bullets are still pretty slippery and you have reduced recoil over the .308. Everything is a trade-off, so you’re also going to have less barrel life compared to the .308. Good thing on the AR10 platform is that you can rebarrel yourself.

Back
Top Bottom