• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on .44 mag

Shalashaska523

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
im looking to get a model 29-2 because it’s a awesome looking gun. I’ve never fired a .44 mag though so what’s it comparable to? Biggest handgun I’ve shot multiple times and am used to is a .45 1911 but I have shot a s&w 500 before and it was ok. Just really looking for advice and seeing what I’m getting myself into. Also they’re not easy guns to find haha.

.44 magnum, Model 29 especially, is great. Fun,accurate
and versatile. Huge selection of loads and the option of using .44 special for milder but seriously capable loads
makes it hard to beat. If you reload it can be pretty easy on cost too.

The S&W M29 is a great revolver! Have you decided on the barrel length you want? Will you hunt with it? I have had, at one time or another, a 3", 4", 5" and 6" barreled M29 or M629. Make no mistake, the 3" model can be a beast with full .44mag loads, although I found the recoil to be fairly easily controlled with the proper grips. I must admit the 4" M29 is my favorite, but frankly, the 5" is the best balanced model. Of course, this is just my opinion, and what do I know? Good luck finding what you want at a price you deem acceptable.

The S&W M29 is a great revolver! Have you decided on the barrel length you want? Will you hunt with it? I have had, at one time or another, a 3", 4", 5" and 6" barreled M29 or M629. Make no mistake, the 3" model can be a beast with full .44mag loads, although I found the recoil to be fairly easily controlled with the proper grips. I must admit the 4" M29 is my favorite, but frankly, the 5" is the best balanced model. Of course, this is just my opinion, and what do I know? Good luck finding what you want at a price you deem acceptable.

I want the 6 inch. Going for the Dirty Harry look. I would take it as a sidearm hunting but I don’t hunt much (never shown “how”).

I want the 6 inch. Going for the Dirty Harry look. I would take it as a sidearm hunting but I don’t hunt much (never shown “how”).

You will not have a problem with recoil on the 6" barreled model. I would find a good set of rubber grips for it. The wood grips on the M29 can be a bit of an issue with full .44 mag loads. The rubber grips just make it more comfortable. Enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom