• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on BMW Cars...

i would go with an older 3 series only, they can deff be reliable if you keep up with the maintenance which can be a bit more expensive but honestly it isnt awful, and if your looking for something really fun the prices on older m3's are a steal right now.

Uh...not bad. But if you're worried about mpg then the v8 isn't for you. Putting around town I'd get 17-18....usually more like 14-16 since you just can't help but wind that V8 out whenever you can. Highway was mid 20s cruising at 70...

My truck gets 11mpg running 93oct... so I guess I'm not that worried about it lol. Your numbers would be fine with me.

As already mentioned, model/year/engine will impact maintenance costs. If you are relatively handy, normal maintenance isn't bad, just don't expect to get most model's filters or brake pads from Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc. I buy most items off the net and turn the wrench myself.

As for the top not working, could be something as simple as a bad motor or sensors, again, if handy with repairs, might just be a few hundred $ for parts and a day of your time. I had a bad top hyd motor on my Z4, was quoted $1300, did it myself for $350 ( the Z4 requires removal of the entire top to gain access to the motor in the bottom of the left wheel-well) - stupid design as it sits right beside the roof drain and most fail due to water damage :smash: )

BMW has a history of extra gadgets and sensors, even with early models, so that can add a little time and headache to basic maintenance, but still quite manageable.

The upside to all of this is, when maintained, they run like a top!

As already mentioned, model/year/engine will impact maintenance costs. If you are relatively handy, normal maintenance isn't bad, just don't expect to get most model's filters or brake pads from Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc. I buy most items off the net and turn the wrench myself.

As for the top not working, could be something as simple as a bad motor or sensors, again, if handy with repairs, might just be a few hundred $ for parts and a day of your time. I had a bad top hyd motor on my Z4, was quoted $1300, did it myself for $350 ( the Z4 requires removal of the entire top to gain access to the motor in the bottom of the left wheel-well) - stupid design as it sits right beside the roof drain and most fail due to water damage :smash: )

BMW has a history of extra gadgets and sensors, even with early models, so that can add a little time and headache to basic maintenance, but still quite manageable.

The upside to all of this is, when maintained, they run like a top!

EX fleet mechanic here. Fluent mostly with Ford/Chevy/Mopar and heavy equiment but have worked on a couple German rides. This will force me to update my diagnostic equipment but that has to happen sooner or later. Looking forward to a new maintenance hog lol...

EX fleet mechanic here. Fluent mostly with Ford/Chevy/Mopar and heavy equiment but have worked on a couple German rides. This will force me to update my diagnostic equipment but that has to happen sooner or later. Looking forward to a new maintenance hog lol...
Shoot, you'll be fine then; like Hayata mentioned, the BMW forums are a wealth of knowledge - if someone has had a problem, there is almost guaranteed to be a DIY post with pics to get you through anything.

There are a few online places that even deal solely in used replacement parts - kinda like pull-a-part for BMW only

Holy crap. Those are awesome number for a I6.
A K&N high flow air filter (believe it or not) helps a tad (about 2-3 over stock)......... but I also swapped out the intake manifold from my stock 3.0i for the 3.0si manifold; luckilly, its one of the very few engine models that only used the intake manifold and different ECU programming to get the added HP ;)

Shoot, you'll be fine then; like Hayata mentioned, the BMW forums are a wealth of knowledge - if someone has had a problem, there is almost guaranteed to be a DIY post with pics to get you through anything.

There are a few online places that even deal solely in used replacement parts - kinda like pull-a-part for BMW only

www.pelicanparts.com has used cars, parts, tech answers and forums on bmw.

Back
Top Bottom