• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on BMW Cars...

Unless you've won the lottery, why spend valuable capital on a constantly depreciating asset?
Why not retain more of your saving and build up for the future?

Unless you've won the lottery, why spend valuable capital on a constantly depreciating asset?

Thats exactly what I'm trying to do. Spend a limited amount on transportation while having a sporty and updated ride. I'm buying transportation at the already depreciated value. If I planned to have the maintenance farmed out, then yes it would not be an intelligent move -for my financial situtation-. But because I work on everything I own, my family owns as well as my friends vehicles and toys, why not? I consider myself to be quite competent at mechanical preventative maintenance and I enjoy it, so why not? Why go from Honda to BMW? Like I've already said, I want something different thats sporty and sharp. A little grease under the nails never ran me off...

And I would completely agree with you if I were considering buying a new vehicle of any make. I can't stand to loose the amount thats lost right off the dealers lot.

That holds true with any vehicle; now add in the specific items that BMW offers and I would suspect that you'd have trouble finding similar attributes with a competing brand for similar value..... it really boils down to what level of performance and "creature comforts" that one wishes to pay for, just like anything else in the consumer market.

(Edited to correct)

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I'm trying to do. Spend a limited amount on transportation while having a sporty and updated ride. I'm buying transportation at the already depreciated value. If I planned to have the maintenance farmed out, then yes it would not be an intelligent move -for my financial situtation-. But because I work on everything I own, my family owns as well as my friends vehicles and toys, why not? I consider myself to be quite competent at mechanical preventative maintenance and I enjoy it, so why not? Why go from Honda to BMW? Like I've already said, I want something different thats sporty and sharp. A little grease under the nails never ran me off...
The nay-sayers may not like to admi it, but BMW has traditionally been well in front of the auto tech world by many years; you can often find the "latest in US auto technology" in BMWs that are 5 to even 10 yrs old; that may not hold any value to some, but, to each their own.

Well dang
sorry Harry it would be a money pit or one that you could play with as a secondary just know that parts arent cheap and they are specific. there are many forums for these cars and there is a following with them,mostly younger rich kids spending more than three to four times the price of the car to get the going fast again..not hatin on them just know from personal /professional stand point and yes as another member stated stay away from the automatics as they are labor/parts intensive and require Bmw trans mechs to get the going.

sorry Harry it would be a money pit or one that you could play with as a secondary just know that parts arent cheap and they are specific. there are many forums for these cars and there is a following with them,mostly younger rich kids spending more than three to four times the price of the car to get the going fast again..not hatin on them just know from personal /professional stand point and yes as another member stated stay away from the automatics as they are labor/parts intensive and require Bmw trans mechs to get the going.

I dunno man. I'm browsing AutoZone for a 2005 525I (just picked one) and parts are very reasonable (yes I know they're not OEM parts) but still. Everything is running 20-30%ish more than what I'm already paying for parts. I think if I stay in the thresh hold of 2002-2007, aftermarket parts should be mostly available, reasonably priced and of course the initial cost of the vehicle won't be that bad. I'm mostly talking out of my butt right now though. My research is in it's very early stages. Very encouraged by what I'm seeing for sale though. A lot of cars with very high mileage and minimal problems.

I bought ONE and couldn't get rid of it fast enough and will never own another. It was a 528i. Yep, drove great, and actually got suprisingly good mileage. Maintenance was a fortune and it was not even remotely practical, despite being a 4 door sedan, as a family car (even though we only have one child).
There's something for everybody though. Enjoy yours.

I bought ONE and couldn't get rid of it fast enough and will never own another. It was a 528i. Yep, drove great, and actually got suprisingly good mileage. Maintenance was a fortune and it was not even remotely practical, despite being a 4 door sedan, as a family car (even though we only have one child).
There's something for everybody though. Enjoy yours.

Give me an example on the maintenance. I'm assuming this was done at a dealership? Details man, I need details. The 2004 5 series are the one's I'm looking at.

They may be the worst depreciating cars out there! For good reason, maintenance is ridiculous and I've heard more bad stories about reliability than good.....

Back
Top Bottom