• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on BMW Cars...

Lets here yours. I've had a '90 Accord for almost 11 years and its been a fantastic and reliable vehicle but it's beginning to become a bit of a hoopty. I've kept it painted and stock to avoid needless police interference but it's also hard to pick up a date in. So its time for something different. I've never looked at BMW's but I couldn't believe how cheap the used ones are! I'm looking for a newer used vehicle primarily for an airport car but one I can also take out on the weekends. I will be maintaining this vehicle myself all the way down to the alignment if needed. Are they dependable cars? Any widespread nightmares with certain models I should stay away from? I see a '98 model on the trader with over 300k miles on it... and I've always thought B'mers were tough looking cars but never realized how inexpensive the used ones are. So whats your favorite year/model and why? Here's one that caught my eye...(if the top is all it really needs it sounds like a deal)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4871569786.html
they are glued together German junk save you money buy another Honda, the first thing that you would have to worry about is the plastic water pump pulley,intake gaskets coolant sensor,radiator,leaking oil from rear head gasket,oil pan vacuum leaks and sensor codes,if you buy that one build an LS chevy get the kit and you may have a great sleeper,the other thing is suspension bushings are always worn out you will spend at least 5000 to get that and the sensors redone ..assembled(motor)Germany ,Body and rest in Alabama.

they are glued together German junk save you money buy another Honda, the first thing that you would have to worry about is the plastic water pump pulley,intake gaskets coolant sensor,radiator,leaking oil from rear head gasket,oil pan vacuum leaks and sensor codes,if you buy that one build an LS chevy get the kit and you may have a great sleeper,the other thing is suspension bushings are always worn out you will spend at least 5000 to get that and the sensors redone ..assembled(motor)Germany ,Body and rest in Alabama.

Well dang

I've had two so far. I like working on and upgrading them. Most ppl that have never owned one do not understand. You drive it and you will tell the difference between it and a honda or a Chevy. It is a driving machine! Get an inline six. Best engine. This was my 2001 330ci
image.jpg

I've had two so far. I like working on and upgrading them. Most ppl that have never owned one do not understand. You drive it and you will tell the difference between it and a honda or a Chevy. It is a driving machine! Get an inline six. Best engine. This was my 2001 330ciView attachment 353208

Yeah I've maintained everything I've ever owned to the full extent that I was able. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to but I think a lot of that has to do with patching the same car over and over for 11 years lol. I'm definitely leaning towards a I6 if I go down the BMW road. More engine bay space for fat hands and tools and of course mods. How is the accessibility to wear items such as the starter and tune up components on the I6?

The inline six was pretty simple. I think it just a matter of keeping it up and not letting it get one needing repair and letting it go, and so on. The oil changes are easy, it has a drop in filter (cartridge) right on top of the engine. Up grade the bushing on the suspension and a new radio ( they are always terrible sounding). I drove mine ( bought it with 90,000miles) for 60,000 miles and just standard maintenance.

I6 accessibility depends upon model, mine has been a breeze for plugs, filters and such - haven't had to tackle serpentine belt or starter yet. (Having a top-mounted oil filter is nice, but I still hate no manual dip-stick).

My dirty 3L

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 13
What?? No dipstick? Do you just listen for empty lifters to start clacking? Thats weird...
Remember when I said BMW likes gadgets & sensors?

My '07 model Z4 has an electronic dip-stick, you check your oil level by pressing buttons from the front seat....... told ya ;)

Back
Top Bottom