• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Time really flies

Ya know my pants taught me lots of things. One of them was the value of earning things on my own. They didn't hand me keys to vehicles. I earned money to buy a vehicle, I was allowed to put it on their insurance but that came out of my pocket as well. Before I could afford a car I was allowed to borrow moms car, cost me 5 dollars every time I wanted to use it, paid in advance. I worked at Gwinnett Ace hardware on Jimmy Carter Blvd and Britt Rd to earn 700 bucks to buy my first car a Plymouth reliant K car. I drove it till the motor knocked so bad it would put Michael J Fox to shame. But it was mine and I earned every dime that went into it.

Awesome. Please educate him about drinking and driving. Two 16 year olds wrecked a car here a couple days ago. The passenger is dead and the driver and father are in jail. The dad was trying to tamper with evidence. Tel him not one single beer. A friend had one beer when he was seventeen. A drunk driver pulled out in front of him and died. My buddy is now a felon and got out ten years later.

Great story and I bet you have already told him.

Man, your post echoes the daily thoughts of a parent. I have done all I can do to this point. I will continue to teach, lead and love but also accept that much of my expectations rely on the years preceding "the now". Unfortunately I cannot erase the memories of my own experiences and can only hope and pray that he doesn't repeat my mistakes, no matter hot they were

Ya know my pants taught me lots of things. One of them was the value of earning things on my own. They didn't hand me keys to vehicles. I earned money to buy a vehicle, I was allowed to put it on their insurance but that came out of my pocket as well. Before I could afford a car I was allowed to borrow moms car, cost me 5 dollars every time I wanted to use it, paid in advance. I worked at Gwinnett Ace hardware on Jimmy Carter Blvd and Britt Rd to earn 700 bucks to buy my first car a Plymouth reliant K car. I drove it till the motor knocked so bad it would put Michael J Fox to shame. But it was mine and I earned every dime that went into it.

I'm proud of you son ( ) <it's a virtual hug! Sounds like you weren't hugged enough.

I have 2 boys one 21 and one 16. both were told they could get their license at 17 and not a day earlier. We believe the extra year of maturity was worth it, and they never argued about it. If you think the license is bad wait till he graduates and leaves for college. For me that's was when it hit home.

I have 2 boys one 21 and one 16. both were told they could get their license at 17 and not a day earlier. We believe the extra year of maturity was worth it, and they never argued about it. If you think the license is bad wait till he graduates and leaves for college. For me that's was when it hit home.

Mostly the same here but we did 6mos instead of a year.

Last edited:
Congrat's and thanks for sharing it with us. I like him and never met any of y'all. anyone who want's an older vehicle instead of a newer one is top notch in my eye's. get him out to some car shows/cruise in's he won't be thinking bout any beer.
but you did good there feller

I like the extra year idea. I tell my daughter everyday that when you hang with dogs you get fleas. She can not figure out why she doesn't have any friends. :( She won't hang out with bad apples thank goodness.
Friends of your kids are to be looked at very closely. The leaves they drop will tell everything about them.

Back
Top Bottom