• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tipping: I can't be the only one, right?

I'm simply pointing out that there are circumstances where not leaving a gratuity is perfectly acceptable. You made some strong statements about the character of folks that do not leave a tip at all. I'm simply pointing out that is ridiculous, some servers do NOT deserve a gratuity based on service AND/OR food quality.
I heard a Freakonomics podcast that covered a study that concluded, if I recall right, service doesn’t play a main factor in tips. Seems counterintuitive because it should, but size of the bill and churning through customers, people leave about the same % overall regardless.

I heard a Freakonomics podcast that covered a study that concluded, if I recall right, service doesn’t play a main factor in tips. Seems counterintuitive because it should, but size of the bill and churning through customers, people leave about the same % overall regardless.
I usually tip much higher (as a percentage of the bill) at places like Waffle House or bargain type restaurants if the service is good. My check might be $13.25 and I hand them a $20 bill, keep it. When I spend $585 on dinner for two in a Michelin rated restaurant, I may tip 15% if the service was adequate, 20% if the service & food was excellent.

Overtipping is rewarding sometimes, especially if it pisses off another server who I've asked to be relieved of duty at my table due to poor service or attitude (I think I posted a "Cheddars" story here) or when a good server might need a little extra money. Tipping a $100 on a $28 check can really make someone's day/week when you think they might need it or deserve it.

I usually tip much higher (as a percentage of the bill) at places like Waffle House or bargain type restaurants if the service is good. My check might be $13.25 and I hand them a $20 bill, keep it. When I spend $585 on dinner for two in a Michelin rated restaurant, I may tip 15% if the service was adequate, 20% if the service & food was excellent.
Wow... Never spent that much anywhere for food. Maybe $30 per person at Longhorn would be my record. :pound:
Shocked Animated GIF

Overtipping is rewarding sometimes, especially if it pisses off another server who I've asked to be relieved of duty at my table due to poor service or attitude (I think I posted a "Cheddars" story here) or when a good server might need a little extra money. Tipping a $100 on a $28 check can really make someone's day/week when you think they might need it or deserve it.
All that makes sense, just pointing out the weird tidbit that people can be crappy and still make roughly the same tips overall.

Also, if I tried to get into a Michelin star restaurant they’d probably bar me from entry before I got out of my car.

I'm simply pointing out that there are circumstances where not leaving a gratuity is perfectly acceptable. You made some strong statements about the character of folks that do not leave a tip at all. I'm simply pointing out that is ridiculous, some servers do NOT deserve a gratuity based on service AND/OR food quality.
I don't argue that point at all. I was mainly referring to folk that never tip no matter what, when or where.

Man when I worked as a bouncer I had a server who was let's say, diminutive in stature, about 4' 5" & 95lbs. She looked twelve but was 22 years old. The ****ing creepwads I had to scare off numbered in the dozens. She made excellent tips though.

Man when I worked as a bouncer I had a server who was let's say, diminutive in stature, about 4' 5" & 95lbs. She looked twelve but was 22 years old. The ****ing creepwads I had to scare off numbered in the dozens. She made excellent tips though.
I don't like those little skinny ones. I prefer a server with a big rack and an ass so fat I'd bury it up to the elbow before I touched brown

Back
Top Bottom