• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tipping: I can't be the only one, right?

I don’t really care what a waitress looks like. Strangely, I think that might make me the weirdo on here.
My SO rags on me about how "easy" I am, an extra button unbuttoned, a little extra effort in wiping down the table, an extra moment setting down the plates = mo' money, mo' money, mo' money.

OTOH, when at Chez Waffle, I award bonus points every time someone calls me "hon", doesn't matter what they look like (except the occasional guy).

i was shocked (pleasantly) when I recently had the opposite experience.

Tab was like $21.00, so I put $20 and $5 with the ticket, waitress picked it up, AND BROUGHT ME MY CHANGE. She looked surprised when I told her I was good.:pray2:
My SO rags on me about how "easy" I am, an extra button unbuttoned, a little extra effort in wiping down the table, an extra moment setting down the plates = mo' money, mo' money, mo' money.

OTOH, when at Chez Waffle, I award bonus points every time someone calls me "hon", doesn't matter what they look like (except the occasional guy).
stop yelling

I was going to make a comment on the deep sea fishing “customary tipping”, but I’m afraid it might start an argument.

This is typical:

“Standard tips are 15%-20%, so please don’t forget to tip either the Captain of the boat or give your tip to one of his crew members. This is customary and goes for all charter fishing boats. Our crew works hard, so be sure to take care of them!”

So, honest question: why not pay the boat crew for the hard work they do? Why does the crew need a tip above the charter price if their wages are included in that amount.

Should I ask for tips when I start an IV, place an epidural or even save someone’s life?

Do we tip the mail carrier or UPS driver?

Now, actually, we do give our postman and the regular UPS guys gifts at Christmas. And every delivery driver gets a bottle of water in the summer or a cup of coffee in the winter with every stop when we’re home.

We also get prime service from the gas company whenever we call because we are always polite, and give the driver a bottle of water or coffee as above.

For several years when I had to travel frequently, I was treated like a king by everyone at any JW Marriott we stayed at because we were polite and left great reviews, and yes, we tipped the doorman, the bell-boys , the receptionist, the housekeeping, and the lady that worked in the concierge lounge. We tipped because the service was excellent, and the employees appreciated the recognition. A glowing review, handwritten on nice paper, to the local and regional managers goes a long long way to future excellent care.

Too bougie?

Nah, I don’t mind tipping for good service, but I don’t understand why some people in some jobs expect a full 15-20% tip for doing the job they agreed to do. Tipping should be for the service rendered and the quality of the same.

I don't eat out enough to worry about tipping too much or too little so using the ipad request doesn't bother me. But there were 2 times where tipping bit.

I took group of international business visitors for a quick lunch before going to the airport. It was a table of 6 in a fairly empty restaurant in Atlantic station. The meal runs a little long so I rush with the check and head out the door. On the way to the airport I realize the check was really expensive based on what everyone ate. Once at the office I realized the waitress charged me 20% for a table of 6 then folded the check and wrote thanks you with a heart on it. I added 15% on top of that.

The second was a wedding - I get a quote for food, tables and service months out and sign the deal. Final payment comes due and 20% gratuity for the servers is added. Who knows if they got it? But it seemed like a bad time to figure it out on the fly.

I don’t mind tipping my waitress or waiter for good service everyone knows that’s the bulk of what they make and they have no control of the price on the menus. But not someone who provides a service with a set price. If the tree service guy charges 400$ and gets a 50$ tip the next customer might get charged 450$ because the guy thinks he’s not charging enough initially

i was shocked (pleasantly) when I recently had the opposite experience.

Tab was like $21.00, so I put $20 and $5 with the ticket, waitress picked it up, AND BROUGHT ME MY CHANGE. She looked surprised when I told her I was good.:pray2:
Probably thought ‘’OMG, is that all he’s tipping?’’
Servers got to make a living, my minimum tip is a $10 on up to a $40 tab.

I agree on the service part but the food quality i cant place on them....thats where the service part comes back into play, they need to take it back and have it corrected if need be but otherwise, food qualities on someone else
True, but since they "tip out" other staff, the front of house does have some say in the quality of the food the kitchen is putting out.

As ARCman47 ARCman47 always says, sometimes you get lucky and she'll spit in your food..
7sscza.jpg

Back
Top Bottom