To all of us reloaders.

Here's a list compiled by Massad Atoob himself. It's very short and the cases are well over 20 years old.

http://www.gunforums.net/forums/gen...andloads-caused-problems-court-mas-ayoob.html

And things have gotten less stupid and juries are more knowledgeable about firearms than they were 20 plus years ago when there was less misinformation spread by the liberal news media? If anything, the advice is more relevant today with juries that have, in fact, been severely misinformed by a liberally biased news media. Handloading ammo to match your defense loads for practice is a very good idea. Shooting someone with your handloads, then having to hire an expert to help defend you in court becomes extremely expensive very fast. Just defending yourself from a false accusation from an ex-wife can cost you in excess of ten thousand dollars for lawyer fees alone. I would hate to think of the costs involved in hiring experts for a murder case where you'd shot someone in self defense, but were accused of murder.

The cost of quality factory self defense ammunition is minuscule i comparison.

I roll my own. If it ever came up I would point out that I could have purchased the super explosive, serrated edge hollow-points that company X makes.

Half and half if i got a good bullet I use my reloads some guns I only have plated or lead for and have not bothered with getting the good projectiles for. Shooting paper is hard to test the projectile but outside I Can shoot brick which is my favorite to blow to bits. I've always thought that to be a good test ok it just fun

It seems to me this subject is very polarized without much in the way of empirical data. I get the impression that folks that don't want to carry hand loads make the choice because someone suggested its a bad idea, and the other side of the coin has chosen to do so because no one can prove to them it is a bad idea.

I'm interested to see the comments and logic.

Here's a list compiled by Massad Atoob himself. It's very short and the cases are well over 20 years old.

http://www.gunforums.net/forums/gen...andloads-caused-problems-court-mas-ayoob.html

Ok , I read through those cases and only one of them, the suicide committed by the wife where the lack of powder residue caused suspicion of murder by the husband had much relevance. Wow, one case in 40 years. The only thing any of them actually told me is that those who reload shouldn't be half-assed about it. If you want to reload you had better have strong attention to detail and if you choose to carry hand loads for SD it would be wise to carry something you have researched/tested and feel pretty damn confident about. Sounds like common sense for any reloader. My load data would be written/stored and known on anything I carried for range ammo/much less SD loads. I would go so far as to only use the same headstamps as well if it were for SD ammo.

There really is nothing there that would make me more concerned in a court of law than a murder charge would by itself. This is absolutely a mountain out of a mole-hill type argument. I really would expect there to be more case law evidence out there to warrant the fear instilled by Ayoob and the many who follow him. I respect what he does and certainly cannot match his experience but I think this is the case of many taking everything he says as gospel instead of thinking for themselves.

Does anyone have a link to a good HD bullet source that has reasonable prices for 1K amounts?
I load 135 grain Nosler JHPs for 40sw. I tested them in milk jugs and wet phone books. They expanded pretty good. Some lost jackets half way thru the books, but lead core stayed in one piece. That's what I hsve in my bedside Glock now and what I carried for small critters in AK, when Mr Raging Bull was too obvious.

I load 135 grain Nosler JHPs for 40sw. I tested them in milk jugs and wet phone books. They expanded pretty good. Some lost jackets half way thru the books, but lead core stayed in one piece. That's what I hsve in my bedside Glock now and what I carried for small critters in AK, when Mr Raging Bull was too obvious.

How much do you want for them. :)

I'm pushing those Nosler 135 grain pills at an honest 1,500 FPS in my Glock. Talk about ruining your year if you get hit by one....

Last edited:
Last time I chroned them, they were flying at 1200+, iirc. It has been a few years. Loaded hem up with Blue Dot. Fireball out of wazoo, but very accurate and no signs of pressure at all. I have switched to Universal Clays and Tightgroup since then. No reason to blind myself. I get my Noslers from Brownells in 250 bullet packs. If you need them and you are down Villa Ricca/Carrolton way, I'll sell you a box for what I paid for it. After we bought our house a year ago I have not even unpacked my 550 yet.

Back
Top Bottom