• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To change to 134A or stay with R12 system

Gordylew

Firefighter Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
189   0
Reaction score
I have a 1994 Toyota 4wd pick up that I bought in 1994. It will probably be buried with me when I die. Recently "as in the last 4 years" The Ac compressor cycles on and off when I stop at a light or idle. A few years back I took it in and was told it was low on refrigerant. Seems I paid premium for some R12 and the cycling began again a few weeks later. The air has blown cold all these years. The other day my daughter's friend backed into the front end of my truck and damaged the valance under the front bumper. Of course, she didn't tell me this for a few days. When going hunting the following day I heard the front tire scrub when I made a right turn and thought, I guess it's time to replace that tie rod, I also noticed the Ac wasn't cooling. Again I thought WTH is everything falling apart. When I got home is when I was informed of the mishap. That's when I figured out the scrubbing was due to the valance's new position. A rubber mallet and a few stikes fixed that until I can get up to Certifit to pick up a new one. But this doesn't explain the AC issue. So with the long story, now the questions. Where is the condenser coil and could have dip stick driver knocked it lose? If I have to replace the condenser coil, would it be better to change to the newer 134 system? Who in middle Georgia is the place to do the work?
Thanks

Are you sure it isn't 134a? I was under the impression that 1994 was the year all new vehicles in the US were mandated to be 134a.

I have never had one converted that cooled the same again. R134 just doesn't work as well in an original R12 system "in my opinion".

Auto Air on 247 in Macon as to the who.
I think a 'complete' system conversion(compressor, drier, etc.) has to be done(expensive), to work properly.

Back
Top Bottom