Toyota overheating question

cpw006

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
My wife's 06 Toyota 4runner with the 4.0 v6 is overheating when sitting still. If you are driving it the temp goes goes back down, if I rev the rpms up over 3k while in neutral the temp will come back down. So far it's been a wonderful vehicle. I have a pretty good idea, but want to hear your input. My thinking is the fan clutch.

She's been saying she wants to get rid of it and get an expedition for a while so maybe she's sabotaging it. Lol

How many miles are on it? With the rpms up above idle, you will hear/see the fan clutch grab when it gets hot enough. If not, it needs changed. Also, if you grab the fan blade with the engine off, there should be no play. Ive also seen cars with original waterpumps and 6 out of 8 impeller blades rusted off and dramatically slows down circulation. It was enough to circulate coolant at speed but at idle it ran hot.

My wife's 06 Toyota 4runner with the 4.0 v6 is overheating when sitting still. If you are driving it the temp goes goes back down, if I rev the rpms up over 3k while in neutral the temp will come back down. So far it's been a wonderful vehicle. I have a pretty good idea, but want to hear your input. My thinking is the fan clutch.

She's been saying she wants to get rid of it and get an expedition for a while so maybe she's sabotaging it. Lol
Fan clutch...

How many miles are on it? With the rpms up above idle, you will hear/see the fan clutch grab when it gets hot enough. If not, it needs changed. Also, if you grab the fan blade with the engine off, there should be no play. Ive also seen cars with original waterpumps and 6 out of 8 impeller blades rusted off and dramatically slows down circulation. It was enough to circulate coolant at speed but at idle it ran hot.

151,000 miles, fan blades can turn by hand when off, but feels solid with no play. I really don't want to change a water pump, or fan clutch for that matter.

151,000 miles, can blades can turn by hand when off, but feels solid with no play. I really don't want to change a water pump, or fan clutch for that matter.
With that many miles its proably due for a clutch. Ive seen them go longer but its most likely due if its the original.

Back
Top Bottom