Toyota overheating question

I was also going to suggest this: pull the radiator cap cap when the engine is cold. Idle the engine up to operating temp and wait for thermostat to open. The fluid level should drop a good bit and you can add some more for good measure.
That and see if it is circulating. If it even has a radiator cap. I dunno.
My chevy only has a cap on the reservoir I believe.

That and see if it is circulating. If it even has a radiator cap. I dunno.
My chevy only has a cap on the reservoir I believe.

I wondered about that also. Looking at a few pics it seems to have a cap on the passenger side tank of the radiator. A a side note, I was surprised to hear that any modern car has a fan clutch. Most all run on electric fans these days.

Reactions: MRM
I agree. I'm still wondering about the fan clutch.

I have had problems in the old days loosing coolant when my 16lb cap only held 14lb.

FYI Peak Global AF is 100% compatible with Toyota Red and Pink AF. NAPA carries it in 50% mix.
Could be a cheaper option than AF from the dealer.

She's still staying cool, fan clutch feels good. If I can talk wife into keeping it I will be flushing radiator this weekend.
thats because it was low enough on coolant to run warm at idle in this heat. Quit screwing around on the interwebs and go get it checked out and find the leak! It aint the damned fan clutch already. It was low on water and it had to go somewhere. Keep on and next thing you know you'll be on here complaning about how this POS Toyota blew the head gaskets.......but what do I know, only been doing this for 30 years...YMMV

Unplug that switch under the hood attached to the cable to the junction tabulator and crosswire it to the battery, turn the switch on and off 6 times quickly, twice slow then 3 times quickly again
Your sphingnometer will ding twice giving you 19 seconds to plug the first switch back up then repeat the entire process twice more
After that unhook your battery cables for 10 seconds, hold them cables together, don't worry about a little arcing...it happens, yo gotta let the current clean your system
If none of that works, start the engine in Park, rev it up as high as it will go, with the Emergency brake engage, push the brake all the way to the floor and slam it in Drive
That should take your mind off the over heating problem

Back
Top Bottom