• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tracking Your DNA on Ammo-

woodstock

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
INCARCERATED. DO NOT FEED
77   0
Reaction score
Saw this article that came out in this months popular science(Jan 2013 print issue), the day after the shooting in Conn-about how there is now a way to track whose DNA is on a bullet even after it has been fired. The ammo will also coat the hands of whoever touched it and provide a tag on the skin.

Interesting, especially in light of possible new laws and restrictions as a result of recent evil tragic shootings.
I am sure this will be studied by those who would like to see an end to gun ownership.

As a bonus, if you read the comments they sound like ODTrs in that it turned into a religious vs non instead of focusing on the subject matter.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-06/bullets-coated-pollen-could-hijack-dna-sample

Doesn't sound like the DNA capture method they suggest is on the bullet but on the shell casing. Easy to thwart if it really even works. Use a revolver or pick up your brass from a semi auto. I don't see how a bullet traveling through tissue could retain DNA from the loader. Seems it would be contaminated or wiped off by the heat and other DNA. Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of anti gun scientists and media.

- - - Updated - - -

Great, something else for me to worry and fret over on those sleepless nights now!

I wouldn't worry at all about something this inane.

Great, something else for me to worry and fret over on those sleepless nights now!

Doesn't sound like the DNA capture method they suggest is on the bullet but on the shell casing. Easy to thwart if it really even works. Use a revolver or pick up your brass from a semi auto. I don't see how a bullet traveling through tissue could retain DNA from the loader. Seems it would be contaminated or wiped off by the heat and other DNA. Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of anti gun scientists and media.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't worry at all about something this inane.

If you read the article, it clearly states the dna remains on the bullet-the casing is not important after firing-and in the print article it states the DNA was retained at a 53% greater rate than non coated bullets after firing.
So Chuckdog your worries are valid.

The thing about it is- if the person handling the ammo uses gloves, all this is voided.

I don't give two squirts about someone getting my DNA off of an expended round. If I fire my weapon, it will be lawful to do so and if I am shooting at a human target I will be there when the police arrive.

If we are worried about a corrupt government tracking us down by expended rounds, well they have to have your DNA already to compare the sample to. So no worries there either.

If your response to that is that the government already has it and will use it to come take my guns, then by the time they get here we will be in full on revolt by that time and my DNA wont matter much anyway.

I just can't see this as something to worry about. We have a lot of real issues to deal with right now.

I lube all my bullets by shoving them in my...... my DNA is like dynamite! It causes bullets to explode upon insertion.....

.... yeah... delete it.

Back
Top Bottom