• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

True Detectives: Season 2

Eh, I give the whole 2nd season a C+/B-. It was unnecessarily confusing, at least for me. I finally figured out just last night that Colin kept talking like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. His voice was almost unbearable. I also don't get he just gave up. He was in love with the girl, has a chance to disable the tracker, and out-run the guys to make the boat. Yet, he looks down to see that his last voice recording doesn't make it to his son so he more or less commits suicide? Give me half the back-stories and develop it more fully and I would have enjoyed it more. It also makes little sense that those that take Frank out are people who had very little part in the entire story.

Eh, I give the whole 2nd season a C+/B-. It was unnecessarily confusing, at least for me. I finally figured out just last night that Colin kept talking like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. His voice was almost unbearable. I also don't get he just gave up. He was in love with the girl, has a chance to disable the tracker, and out-run the guys to make the boat. Yet, he looks down to see that his last voice recording doesn't make it to his son so he more or less commits suicide? Give me half the back-stories and develop it more fully and I would have enjoyed it more. It also makes little sense that those that take Frank out are people who had very little part in the entire story.

Colin sounded like Keanu Reeves in all his movies, I concur. Hmmm french fried taters lol . And i thought Vaquaro checked out a little too easy. It's hard to develop so many characters in just 8 episode. I enjoyed it but yes too many side stories. Also I noticed similarities from season one. First the killer was shown in a small cameo in the early episodes. ( lawn mower guy S1 , photographer S2. ) Also the detectives from both seasons didn't believe that the person that they got for the murder the first time was the right person

Colin sounded like Keanu Reeves in all his movies, I concur. Hmmm french fried taters lol . And i thought Vaquaro checked out a little too easy. It's hard to develop so many characters in just 8 episode. I enjoyed it but yes too many side stories. Also I noticed similarities from season one. First the killer was shown in a small cameo in the early episodes. ( lawn mower guy S1 , photographer S2. ) Also the detectives from both seasons didn't believe that the person that they got for the murder the first time was the right person

I'll fully admit that I don't have the longest attention span when watching things. Compounding that for me was it seemed like everyone was audibly hard to hear and understand such as Vaquaro. I agree that 8 episodes is not enough to fully develop a story like this. Season 1 was paced much slower, didn't have a ton of back-stories, and was just overall better in my opinion. Also, if you're going to pretend to be dark, the story itself needs to be dark and somewhat morbid. A political cover-up for a land-deal is not dark material.

Does anyone think it is written/directed this way to get us to watch the reruns so we catch it the second time and they get their view counts up?

I'll fully admit that I don't have the longest attention span when watching things. Compounding that for me was it seemed like everyone was audibly hard to hear and understand such as Vaquaro. I agree that 8 episodes is not enough to fully develop a story like this. Season 1 was paced much slower, didn't have a ton of back-stories, and was just overall better in my opinion. Also, if you're going to pretend to be dark, the story itself needs to be dark and somewhat morbid. A political cover-up for a land-deal is not dark material.

We had to turn our tv volume up to 32, we normally listen to tv between 18-22

Does anyone think it is written/directed this way to get us to watch the reruns so we catch it the second time and they get their view counts up?

I hope not. I can name on one-hand movies and shows I've watched more than once.

We had to turn our tv volume up to 32, we normally listen to tv between 18-22

That's hilarious. Glad (again) to know it's not just me.

Overall, I thought it was a satisfying ending.

Velcoro screwing up his escape by trying to see his boy one last time was fitting: True to his character, he can't help but make self-destructive choices. The twist with his "two sons" was well done. Also, the "one year later" ending with the reporter leaves the viewer wondering if and how the story will ever come to light.

Frank's demise was pretty well done. They managed to drag it out while keeping it a bit twisty. He might buy his way out. Oh, they want his suit. He's in trouble. Maybe he can make it. Nope, he's a walking dead man. I like the visions he has at the end, particularly the last one, where Jordan tells him he's already down. Kudos to Vince Vaughn. He plays a good bad guy. Strong performance.

What's interesting about the plot is how the story lines between Frank and the Caspere/Vinci corruption investigation seemed intertwined, but in the end, really had nothing to do with one another. It just so happens that Frank gave his money to a many who was the victim of a vengeance killing. Even if Caspere doesn't get killed, Frank's trajectory is pretty much he same. The Russians wanted his land deal.

By the way: The fictitious city of Vinci is loosely based on some real life tales from Vernon, CA, near downtown L.A. 114 residents and a workforce of approximately 50,000. Long history of corruption, repeated target of state investigators, lots of big money deals, wealthy/absentee mayors, etc.

Overall, I thought it was a satisfying ending.

Velcoro screwing up his escape by trying to see his boy one last time was fitting: True to his character, he can't help but make self-destructive choices. The twist with his "two sons" was well done. Also, the "one year later" ending with the reporter leaves the viewer wondering if and how the story will ever come to light.

Frank's demise was pretty well done. They managed to drag it out while keeping it a bit twisty. He might buy his way out. Oh, they want his suit. He's in trouble. Maybe he can make it. Nope, he's a walking dead man. I like the visions he has at the end, particularly the last one, where Jordan tells him he's already down. Kudos to Vince Vaughn. He plays a good bad guy. Strong performance.

What's interesting about the plot is how the story lines between Frank and the Caspere/Vinci corruption investigation seemed intertwined, but in the end, really had nothing to do with one another. It just so happens that Frank gave his money to a many who was the victim of a vengeance killing. Even if Caspere doesn't get killed, Frank's trajectory is pretty much he same. The Russians wanted his land deal.

Well said. Good call on Vaquaro making self destructive choices. I honestly just think folks tried comparing it to S1. Apples and grapes as the saying goes. Overall I'd give it a B. But will they pick up a 3rd season?

Back
Top Bottom