• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

True Detectives: Season 2

Dammit Woodrow, situational awareness!!!!!!

In fairness...you're in a maze of city-wide underground tunnels. You don't expect a henchman behind the one exit you happen to run to.

That part of the script could have been handled better.

However, still liking the show.

Yep, just like when Colin's character was shot. Not really, there's only 1 episode left so people have to die I guess.

I need to read a summary because I've had a hard time following it all honestly. I have a short attention span for TV.

Everyone has a hard time following it. One of the knocks on the show has been the confusing array of character names, most of whom have very little screen time, leaving viewers feeling very disoriented when putting names to faces.

The guy "Stan" that Frank Semyon (Vince Vaughn) is all broken up about? He's in three very short scenes. No lines. In one scene, he's dead and you can barely make out his face. Yet one of the main characters is pissed off about him and talks about him many times, over the course of half the series.

Weird scripting and directing.

Maybe that's part of what makes it good.

Everyone has a hard time following it. One of the knocks on the show has been the confusing array of character names, most of whom have very little screen time, leaving viewers feeling very disoriented when putting names to faces.

The guy "Stan" that Frank Semyon (Vince Vaughn) is all broken up about? He's in three very short scenes. No lines. In one scene, he's dead and you can barely make out his face. Yet one of the main characters is pissed off about him and talks about him many times, over the course of half the series.

I'm glad you said that. I've had a hard time keeping up with the names. I get it at a high level, but that's about it.

Exactly. A show like "game of thrones " can handle a bunch of characters but not one with 8 episodes. And I was like "who the fuvk is stan and why does Frankie care"? Then in 2 sentences from Blake we learn he was trailing Blake and tried blackmailing him. I have enjoyed the second season greatly and am looking forward to the 90 minute finale.

I'm glad you said that. I've had a hard time keeping up with the names. I get it at a high level, but that's about it.

Trust me: Everybody watching the show feels inadequate for not knowing who all the characters are and all of the plot nuances.

We're all saying to ourselves: Did I fall asleep? Get a snack at the wrong time? Get distracted? Why don't I have any idea what the hell they're talking about?

I got so twisted up about "Stan," I had to look up the backstory. The actor they cast as Stan thought he was going to have a career changing gig. He was told he was the right hand man to one of the main characters, and he was to be in three of eight episodes. His screen time is less than a minute, with no lines. The actor says even his friends are saying to him: "Hey, didn't you say you were going to be in the second season of True Detective? Didn't see you." AND, he says that no scenes of his were cut, so they always planned it that way.

It's weird, weird TV.

Trust me: Everybody watching the show feels inadequate for not knowing who all the characters are and all of the plot nuances.

We're all saying to ourselves: Did I fall asleep? Get a snack at the wrong time? Get distracted? Why don't I have any idea what the hell they're talking about?

I got so twisted up about "Stan," I had to look up the backstory. The actor they cast as Stan thought he was going to have a career changing gig. He was told he was the right hand man to one of the main characters, and he was to be in three of eight episodes. His screen time is less than a minute, with no lines. The actor says even his friends are saying to him: "Hey, didn't you say you were going to be in the second season of True Detective? Didn't see you." AND, he says that no scenes of his were cut, so they always planned it that way.

It's weird, weird TV.

Ok, I don't even remember Stan in the story-line, lol. And the guy Vaughn's character just killed who was doing things behind his back I only remember seeing a few times, notably as one of the hosts in the "party" at the house with the girls. Sometimes TV tries to get too out there and miss the audience. This didn't completely do that, but came close. I think trying to jam a season into 8 episodes kind of sucks also. They can develop characters, but not enough. For example, the motorcycle cop has all these issues with hiding homosexuality and prior military service, but they never really get into it. It just makes the character seem strange. Maybe we're supposed to feel disconnected from all the main characters. Colin's character is the most well developed (at least he gets the most screen time), but even he's pretty un-rootable.

Back
Top Bottom