• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trying my hand at sharpening, tips?

AirOpsMgr

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
66   0
Reaction score
My wife bought me a Smith's Tri-hone for Christmas, just wondering how bad off the edge needs to be before I start with the "rough" stone?

I have a few blades of varying edge conditions including a brand new Kershaw Blur (that she also got me for Christmas) - I assume fine stone for that or leave it alone?

I've only done basic sharpening in the past, so figured I'd ask

I'd say start with a medium stone on your more used knives and transition to a fine stone. Of course that depends on how good or bad off your blades are. If I use my knife at any point during the day I will come home and make a few passes on my fine stone.

I think the ROUGH is for dull axes... I watched a few YouTube videos about sharpening to get a good idea. It is all about maintaining the correct angle and going finer / finer until you reach a edge. Then you must strop the burr off to get a really sharp edge. You can use leather or cardboard to strop it... Good luck!!

I'd say start with a medium stone on your more used knives and transition to a fine stone. Of course that depends on how good or bad off your blades are. If I use my knife at any point during the day I will come home and make a few passes on my fine stone.
Don't own any top-end blades, so most I suspect are softer steel (I'll have to check to see what the Blur blade is); none of the older blades have any kind of nicks or gouges, just dull

I think the ROUGH is for dull axes... I watched a few YouTube videos about sharpening to get a good idea. It is all about maintaining the correct angle and going finer / finer until you reach a edge. Then you must strop the burr off to get a really sharp edge. You can use leather or cardboard to strop it... Good luck!!
Gotcha, I just wasn't sure if starting with rough was necessary to build a better edge or if it would be more detrimental (removing more than necessary).

I do need to pick up a strop, had one years back but I think one of the dogs got a hold of it and made it a chew toy; never knew cardboard was an option

Practice at staying at the same angle on every stroke, I know that goes without saying...but that is the key. Once you master this it will go smoothly. And yes, a strop WILL make a difference once you get to a certain point, a smooth leather belt will also work well.

Practice at staying at the same angle on every stroke, I know that goes without saying...but that is the key. Once you master this it will go smoothly. And yes, a strop WILL make a difference once you get to a certain point, a smooth leather belt will also work well.
The tri-hone came with a 23 degree angle guide and I'm sticking to that while I get reacquainted - it's been a while since my dad taugh me ;)

Finish it off on the top of your car window. Just run it back and forth a few times.
Really? Interesting

Finish it off on the top of your car window. Just run it back and forth a few times.
Or bottom of ceramic coffee cup...use the slight rougher edge of the bottom for finish strokes....will make it razor sharp when you get good at it.

Back
Top Bottom