• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trying my hand at sharpening, tips?

I hear ya. I jacked up a few knives by freehand, it's hard to get a good edge on a jacked up edge. So Lansky made it dummy proof for me. Saves me time too. Best of luck. If you want a really scary sharp edge, strop the knife when you get a good edge on it.
I'm going to go rummage through my wife's closet for a smooth leather belt in a minute....... She probably won't mind

Nice, I'll try that

Yeah, the kit came with oil, I'm using it liberally on the medium stone since it absorbs it quickly, a few drops lasts quite a while on the fine
Sounds about right....the more metal you are taking off, the more oil you want. Both of them just need to be moist though, not soaking, barely puddling up. After a while the stones will start to get a good bit of metal deposited in the pores, you can clean that with sos pads and warm water. You will use the fine more than the med...or should. Soon you will come home every day and hit the stone 4-5 strokes on each side to dress it up, and the blade will always stay sharp. That's what I do.
Look into a set of croc sticks too, if you want.

Try a stone with Diamond in it. You don't have to use oil and the diamond sharpens better.
True. I have so many diff implements for sharpening...I use steel or ceramic mostly. It just depends on what you are sharpening and what type of edge you like. :)

Sounds about right....the more metal you are taking off, the more oil you want. Both of them just need to be moist though, not soaking, barely puddling up. After a while the stones will start to get a good bit of metal deposited in the pores, you can clean that with sos pads and warm water. You will use the fine more than the med...or should. Soon you will come home every day and hit the stone 4-5 strokes on each side to dress it up, and the blade will always stay sharp. That's what I do.
Look into a set of croc sticks too, if you want.
The medium absorbs almost instantly, so I've been dripping every few strokes; fine side pools well. Just finished an old Gerber, slices paper well vertically now but sideways still drags a bit (and I stropped on some cardboard) - may hit that one again

Back
Top Bottom