• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Turkey in the suburbs?

obiwan

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
335   0
Reaction score
I pulled up to the front of my subdivision this morning, look to the right for oncoming traffic and saw a large bird walking on the sidewalk towards me. At first, I thought it was a goose from one of the office park ponds that strayed too far, then I thought it's a pretty ugly bird (black/grey) and don't have webs. Then it got close enough that I finally saw the wattle under its beak. It looked to be about 20lbs. I wish I could have snapped a picture, but there was a car behind me.

I think it was a wild turkey, although I've lived around there (Alpharetta west of 400) for 22 years and never saw one before. It was just strolling down the sidewalk leisurely and all its feathers were folded down, the wattle was not red but light pink. Did I see a turkey or could it be something else?

I've seen em in several unlikely places like walking down the sidewalk at Memorial Drive and Hairston Rd and also at Chamblee Tucker Rd and 285. Also quite a few around Emory

Last edited:
Stan drinking? That like asking when did you stop beating your wife? Of course he was drinking, but still, it was a turkey he saw. On the poor south side where I live, I have seen probably 10 turkeys in the last few months. And yes, they were wild turkeys, but there were not a bottle. The bottle is in the cabinet. Some of the turkeys down here act like they are not afraid of people at all. A couple of hens stayed in my back yard last year while I cut the grass. Just moved around when I got close to them. Eventually, they walked back into the woods. Stan, it is not the drinking I mind, just stay off the crack!lol

Stan have you been drinking again lol? Interesting haha.

Well, I know it's turkey season, but never saw one in my neck of the woods before. It was only 15 yards out and coming towards me. If I weren't in city limits and had hearing protection, I totally would be tempted to bag dinner! All I had was a pf9 though. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom