• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turning a tec 22/ tec scorpion into a reliable shooter

sovietak474u

Default rank 5000+ posts
My honor is loyalty
380   0
Reaction score
Well, I snagged one of these the other day. You see tons of reviews on these. Most of them... are not good. The one I bought ran good for a little while then once it got dirty it started to have problems. Fixed all of that today. There are 3 MAIN issues with this gun. Ill address on how to fix them.

1. a volquartsen extractor is a MUST. It uses the same one as a ruger 10/22. (mine came with this installed, thanks previous owner ;) )

2. The hammer. The hammer is blued. Which is really dumb. I think this is a problem with many of the jamming issues (ill explain why). Many problems people also have is extracting the round from the chamber. They first think its the extractor. Which sometimes it is. But once you change the extractor you will find that it still stove pipes and does not fully extract. Here is why....

The hammer is blued. When the back of the bolt rubs on it, it feels like sand paper. Without a good HOT .22 load... it at times will not extract. All you need to do is get some ULTRA fine sand paper. I used 220 grit. Sand all that blued finish off . You dont need to rub a lot of the metal off, just enough to get the blued off. Once you do that take a drimmel and a polishing tip and polish the hammer till it comes to a slick shine. The hammer should be smooth to the touch. This solves ALL extraction problems along with the volquartsen extractor.

3. the ejector. Many people drill a hole in the current small and useless ejector and insert an allen wrench. I would not use this method. All you need are GOOD MAGAZINES! The standard ruger 10/22 magazines if you notice the feedlips on the left side are higher than the right. Only use 10/22 magazines where this is the case. The butler creek hotlips will not work correctly with this gun. You can use butler creek steel lipped magazines as long as the feed lip on the left side is higher than the right side.

With all these in place... my tec scorpion is now a .22 eating machine!

This also makes a great suppressor host as well. Just remember. The threads are 1/2 x 20. Most .22 cans are 1/2 x 28. So you have to buy a female 1/2x20 to male 1/2x28 adapter. Here is a link to one http://www.tacticalinc.com/12x20-female-12x28-male-thread-adapter-with-thread-protector-p-79.html

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm glad! good thing that ejector was in it and you had a good mag! haha

yeah haha. That did help get rid of some of the problems. The man issue was the hammer. That is the main bearing surface that the bolt has to go by. It had many burrs and was ROUGH. Its smooth as a babies bottom now.

Thanks for the tec-22 tip's soviet.....

I put an ever-so-slight chamfer on the chamber from about 4-8 o'clock and that seemed to help immensely on mine as well.
Oh and the tactical inc 30rnd mags rock too!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom