• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TV screen fix? UPDATE!

UPDATE:
First, I was incorrect in my original post when I said it was LED tv, its actually LCD.

Second, took tv all the way apart. 100%. Still couldn't find anything that looked like it was broke, burnt, bulged or in any other way not the way it was supposed to look. I did figure out that the small board in the middle is connected to 2 other really long, narrow boards on the bottom that are connected directly to the screen and those 2 boards do not look replaceable.

And lastly, I managed to accidently crack the LCD when I was trying to put everything back together. So unless someone knows where I can get another 55" LCD screen for a decent price, this tv is likely headed for the trash.

UPDATE:
First, I was incorrect in my original post when I said it was LED tv, its actually LCD.

Second, took tv all the way apart. 100%. Still couldn't find anything that looked like it was broke, burnt, bulged or in any other way not the way it was supposed to look. I did figure out that the small board in the middle is connected to 2 other really long, narrow boards on the bottom that are connected directly to the screen and those 2 boards do not look replaceable.

And lastly, I managed to accidently crack the LCD when I was trying to put everything back together. So unless someone knows where I can get another 55" LCD screen for a decent price, this tv is likely headed for the trash.

Damn! Well at least you tried!

UPDATE:

Look at the bright side, at least you saved the $150.00 a repair service would have charged you to "look" at it and then tell you it would be another $200.00 to fix it.

It's usually better to replace todays merchandise, it wasn't meant to be repaired.

I have a 55" Insignia led tv from best buy and the screen just suddenly went dark. Looking at it up close and from an angle I can still slightly see the display, but just barely. The sound works fine.

So my first question is, what could be causing this? My second question, if someone knows the answer to the first, is this something I could fix myself and how hard/expensive would it be to do so?

Before someone suggests it, I'm already planning to go buy a new tv. I just want to know if I can do anything to fix this one so I dont have to just throw it out.
Have you ever heard of an ESR meter maybe you can use one of these to help you fix it. iv seen them as low as MESR-100 for $43 on ebay. if you use it and want to resell it ill buy it.

Sometimes you have to use a magnifying glass and comb they the board. Look at it over and over not as a whole but in detail of all the electronics. If something looks out of place thats a great hint. use a multimeter to see if power is going to the unit. and if the power converter is working

Have you ever heard of an ESR meter maybe you can use one of these to help you fix it. iv seen them as low as MESR-100 for $43 on ebay. if you use it and want to resell it ill buy it.

Sometimes you have to use a magnifying glass and comb they the board. Look at it over and over not as a whole but in detail of all the electronics. If something looks out of place thats a great hint. use a multimeter to see if power is going to the unit. and if the power converter is working

Apparently you missed my update post where I said I broke the screen while putting everything back together.

UPDATE:

Sam's has great TV prices

Back
Top Bottom