• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

UGA v Auburn final thoughts

atltrader, do you believe that the boosters would buy out Malzhan? I know Malzhan has been on the hot seat for a couple of years, as far as the fans go. I haven't seen the Auburn facilities in a few years, but to me, the boosters would be better served to improve the athletic facilities before spending all that money to buy him out. Auburn, in my opinion, is behind some of the other schools in the SEC in terms of athletic facilities, or at least they were. But, I can see the heat getting higher if Auburn loses to Alabama at home without their truly great QB Tua. That might be the boiling point for Auburn fans. Good luck.

JWC JWC , It's difficult to predict what the boosters will and won't do down on the Plains. I believe that Malzahns future is closely tied to the outcome vs Bama in two weeks. He looses that game at home against a beat up Bama squad without Tua then I do believe some sort of arrangement will be done. Whether that's a firing or a mutual parting of ways is the million dollar question though. The one booster who probably has the most influence on the program right now is Jimmy Rane who is CEO of Great Southern Wood a.k.a. "YellaWood Fella" who is worth an estimated 900 million according to Forbes this year. https://www.forbes.com/profile/jimmy-rane/#29214bb3478d.

In my opinion, Malzahn's heart is in Fayetteville long term. The extension and pay raise he got a few years ago at Auburn was done by an administration who is no longer in charge and if things go sour in two weeks I could see the powers that be up in Arkansas try and lure him up there. Arky isn't hurting for money (hint, hint... Walmart).

Gus lost a good bit of momentum for the program when he had FSU on the ropes in the 2013 title game and couldn't finish them off. I was at that game and it was painful to see them lose it in the fashion they did. He's hit on a handful of players having good tenures on the Plains but he's also missed out on not getting the best guys to fit into his offensive philosophy over the last few years. The best to me was Nick Marshall hands down. But when he had the chance to bring in Kelly Bryant through the Transfer Portal and failed to do so where Bryant opts to go play at Missouri instead that was an embarrassment IMHO. Talk about a potential match made in heaven on paper.

As for the facilities, they do have brand new facilities across all sports which are top class. A lot of money has pumped through the University over the last decade at Auburn. When it comes to being influential and important in college athletics, we all know that there is a never ending arms race on who has the biggest and best facilities on campus. Right now Clemson, Bama, A&M, & Oregon probably can lay claim to having the best amenities right now.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...cilities-rankings-2019-134061740/#134061740_2

JWC JWC , It's difficult to predict what the boosters will and won't do down on the Plains. I believe that Malzahns future is closely tied to the outcome vs Bama in two weeks. He looses that game at home against a beat up Bama squad without Tua then I do believe some sort of arrangement will be done. Whether that's a firing or a mutual parting of ways is the million dollar question though. The one booster who probably has the most influence on the program right now is Jimmy Rane who is CEO of Great Southern Wood a.k.a. "YellaWood Fella" who is worth an estimated 900 million according to Forbes this year. https://www.forbes.com/profile/jimmy-rane/#29214bb3478d.

In my opinion, Malzahn's heart is in Fayetteville long term. The extension and pay raise he got a few years ago at Auburn was done by an administration who is no longer in charge and if things go sour in two weeks I could see the powers that be up in Arkansas try and lure him up there. Arky isn't hurting for money (hint, hint... Walmart).

Gus lost a good bit of momentum for the program when he had FSU on the ropes in the 2013 title game and couldn't finish them off. I was at that game and it was painful to see them lose it in the fashion they did. He's hit on a handful of players having good tenures on the Plains but he's also missed out on not getting the best guys to fit into his offensive philosophy over the last few years. The best to me was Nick Marshall hands down. But when he had the chance to bring in Kelly Bryant through the Transfer Portal and failed to do so where Bryant opts to go play at Missouri instead that was an embarrassment IMHO. Talk about a potential match made in heaven on paper.

As for the facilities, they do have brand new facilities across all sports which are top class. A lot of money has pumped through the University over the last decade at Auburn. When it comes to being influential and important in college athletics, we all know that there is a never ending arms race on who has the biggest and best facilities on campus. Right now Clemson, Bama, A&M, & Oregon probably can lay claim to having the best amenities right now.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...cilities-rankings-2019-134061740/#134061740_2

Malzhan desperately needs to win the Iron Bowl. At Auburn as head coach he is 6-15 vs Alabama, Georgia, and LSU. He’s yet to win a single game in Athens, Tuscaloosa, or Baton Rouge.

Malzhan desperately needs to win the Iron Bowl. At Auburn as head coach he is 6-15 vs Alabama, Georgia, and LSU. He’s yet to win a single game in Athens, Tuscaloosa, or Baton Rouge.

Unfortunately, I am all too keenly aware of our struggles against the "Big 3" over the last decade. I believe Malzahn is at a crossroads point in his coaching career. If his record doesn't improve quickly starting with Bama in two weeks then he should go help Arkansas with their dumpster fire of a program right now. He is really close to becoming Les Miles 2.0 and that's not a good thing. If the end is near for Malzahn, then I would hope the powers that be have a good back up plan in place. I would personally love to see someone like Mario Christobal have a chance at Auburn. Love what he's done up at Oregon so far even though he was on the losing end against us in the first game this year.

Unfortunately, I am all too keenly aware of our struggles against the "Big 3" over the last decade. I believe Malzahn is at a crossroads point in his coaching career. If his record doesn't improve quickly starting with Bama in two weeks then he should go help Arkansas with their dumpster fire of a program right now. He is really close to becoming Les Miles 2.0 and that's not a good thing. If the end is near for Malzahn, then I would hope the powers that be have a good back up plan in place. I would personally love to see someone like Mario Christobal have a chance at Auburn. Love what he's done up at Oregon so far even though he was on the losing end against us in the first game this year.

For me it’s the offensive game plan. His system is gimmicky. Sure it might beat the Mississippi schools and A&M once in awhile. But it’s simply not good enough to beat the Big 3, unless he has elite level talent. Which he has not had since his first season. He has to either evolve offensively or be left in the dust. Because he is not out recruiting Kirby, Nick, and Coach O anytime soon.

For me it’s the offensive game plan. His system is gimmicky. Sure it might beat the Mississippi schools and A&M once in awhile. But it’s simply not good enough to beat the Big 3, unless he has elite level talent. Which he has not had since his first season. He has to either evolve offensively or be left in the dust. Because he is not out recruiting Kirby, Nick, and Coach O anytime soon.

I don't totally disagree. In my opinion the offensive philosophy isn't so much the problem as it is the Jimmy's and Joe's he has had on the team recently. Right now, I think he has drastically failed in getting the players that best fits his system and that's totally on him. To me his system is just a variation of the spread/read option but with some wrinkles in it. He was able to put a player like Nick Marshall into that system and it ran like clockwork and was one defensive stop from winning a national title with him at QB. Nobody had a problem with Urban Meyer running his style of offense when he was at Florida and Ohio State, primarily b/c the caliber of players were really good.

atltrader, thank you for your opinions on Auburn. It has been several years since I have seen the athletic facilities. Good to hear that they have upgraded since I was there.
I will yield to you opinion on Malzhan and the possibility of him leaving, which may or may not happen with a loss to a "Tualess" Alabama team. Frankly, in my opinion, I cannot see a coach, like Malzhan, leaving top tier program to go to Arkansas. It just does not make sense to me....unless Arkansas throws out stupid money.

Thanks again for your opinion. I enjoyed reading your posts.

Christobal in the SEC would be very interesting. He would be a good hire for AU. Malzahn's tenure at AU has been one of the more interesting coach university relationships I've ever seen. There's one think I like about ole Gus...it's refreshing to hear a coach yell "what the crap?" or "that's a dang bad call" when I'm watching a game with a bunch of kids.

I'll know one thing, it seems the rivalry between UGA and AU has taken a turn for the worse over the last 10 years. I was at UGA in the 80's and my wife was at AU when we met. It was more of a brother vs brother kind of rivalry. There was a lot of cross pollination in the students as well as the coaches, and maybe it's just me being nostalgic, but it sure seemed more civil and fun.

Christobal in the SEC would be very interesting. He would be a good hire for AU. Malzahn's tenure at AU has been one of the more interesting coach university relationships I've ever seen. There's one think I like about ole Gus...it's refreshing to hear a coach yell "what the crap?" or "that's a dang bad call" when I'm watching a game with a bunch of kids.

I'll know one thing, it seems the rivalry between UGA and AU has taken a turn for the worse over the last 10 years. I was at UGA in the 80's and my wife was at AU when we met. It was more of a brother vs brother kind of rivalry. There was a lot of cross pollination in the students as well as the coaches, and maybe it's just me being nostalgic, but it sure seemed more civil and fun.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I can remember after Bo ran about 300 on us around 85ish in Sanford and we applauded him for the great athlete he was as he left the field.

atltrader, thank you for your opinions on Auburn. It has been several years since I have seen the athletic facilities. Good to hear that they have upgraded since I was there.
I will yield to you opinion on Malzhan and the possibility of him leaving, which may or may not happen with a loss to a "Tualess" Alabama team. Frankly, in my opinion, I cannot see a coach, like Malzhan, leaving top tier program to go to Arkansas. It just does not make sense to me....unless Arkansas throws out stupid money.

Thanks again for your opinion. I enjoyed reading your posts.

Love chatt'n up some college football! Just my opinions based on what I observe from reading and listening to different sources and watching as each season plays out. If Malzahn is Arkansas's "guy" then they would have to pony up quite a bit of money to get him as his buyout is somewhere in the $15-$18 million dollar range. I just don't know if there is an appetite for any of our boosters to pay all of it right now pending the loss to Bama happens. Especially if it's an ugly loss w/o Tua playing. It would almost have to be a split agreement between both parties for it to happen.

I would absolutely love Christobal as HC right now if there was a remote chance of it happening. Just not sure that the good ole boy network running things would think outside the box to consider him for the job. He played at Miami, coached with Saban at Bama and has turned Oregon back into a potential contender in a just a short period of time. Unfortunately, there just isn't a bunch of Nick Sabans, Pete Carrols, or Urban Meyers falling out of the coaching trees right now for most programs looking to hire but to me he checks off a lot of boxes for a top candidate.

Regarding the rivalry between UGA and Auburn, it has always been an incestuous rivalry over the years. Just look at the coaching carousal with Dye, Dooley, Erk Russel, Rodney Garner, the local recruiting grounds/battles for players, generations of families that have gone to both schools. My brother (AU grad) married a Georgia alum and now b/c they raised their family here in GA their oldest daughter will probably go to Georgia in a few years due to the cost of instate vs out of state tuition. I think for the most part it's still a very hospitable rivalry but there's always pockets of fans that take things more serious than others. That's just life.

Back
Top Bottom