• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ultralight Hiking Knife Selection For Grown Son: Advice Needed (Edit: Advice Taken, trip going well)

I EDC this, lightweight and visible if dropped in foliage. Could always have a kydex sheath made to lighten weight more. Weighs 2.2 oz.

I also EDC the Elk model in orange, which I would prefer but both would work nicely. Having it hooked to my belt would lessen the chance of misplacing it in the field. Weighs 4.5 oz.

Both are made in the USA.

Mora makes a cork handled 3.7” floating fixed blade knife that is 3.1 ounces. $28 on Amazon prime. Sounds like a good compromise for what you are looking for.

He might be starting so late that it will be warmer for him to hike north to south.

Attachments

• FD363438-2FE2-4375-8FAA-0C1936A6716E.png
    FD363438-2FE2-4375-8FAA-0C1936A6716E.png
    582.1 KB · Views: 9
As someone who has and has had countless knives from different manufacturers and makers, I second one of the Mora options for lightweight. With that being said, if he thinks that is too big, I'd go with a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) Farmer. Another option is something along the lines of a Esee Izula or Izula II.

So my son (22 year old man) is through hiking the AT this summer all the way to Maine. Claims to not want/need a knife. I can't even imagine how this is a reality. Mind you, this is a man that EDCs a Leatherman Wave on a regular day. Want recommendations for a knife to long distance hike with. Open to types, brands, and styles. Real world experience appreciated.

Goals:
-Extremely light weight
-Big enough to use for bare bones defense/protection
-Not ridiculously expensive, though less important as I'm buying
-Function over collectability

Footnote - Not interested in discussions about "why are you making him take a knife". I'm not, but want to pose to good options, assuming that weight is his biggest objection. The Mora bushcraft sheath knife I have was too big/heavy.

View attachment 4256572
Esee izula?

Pretty light. Very solid. No frills no failure points- it's a small piece of steel with a wicked edge. And it's only like 2oz.

Mora makes a cork handled 3.7” floating fixed blade knife that is 3.1 ounces. $28 on Amazon prime. Sounds like a good compromise for what you are looking for.

He might be starting so late that it will be warmer for him to hike north to south.

morakniv

all day. i can sell you two for like 25 bucks

Morakniv are very reliable, lightweight, razor sharp out of the box and very affordable knives

As someone who has and has had countless knives from different manufacturers and makers, I second one of the Mora options for lightweight. With that being said, if he thinks that is too big, I'd go with a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) Farmer. Another option is something along the lines of a Esee Izula or Izula II.
He has and loves several Mora knives. One with the Firestarter rig in it. Chose against those.
I'm leaning towards something in titanium and carbon fiber. Price is not really an issue for me and this is a once in a lifetime hike. Could even get it laser etched. Still looking.

Back
Top Bottom