Unarmed combat skills in SHTF

I can bury my tomahawks at 10-15 on the move. We are talking deep penetration. <----that's what she said

On a serious note, bow skills, hell even spear skills can be useful. I know a few websites that sale quality weaponry. But, it's hard to go wrong with cold steel.

Bow and arrow skills would be very useful in a SHTF scenario. Kinda off topic but a pellet gun would be so useful as well. On topic, unarmed combat would be extremely useful. Nothing will ever play out the way you imagine and being able to back up your debunk weapon with your fists would be very valuable. At the least work out and gain some mass.

I have reached a point in my life where I have come to the conclusion that I am too old to fight but too young to die. I always carry a nice size pocket knife with pocket clip and a small pocket pistol at the very least. unarmed combat skills is fine for you young guns but if the SHTF I am going to shoot first and ask ???? later. If you mess with me lead will fly before fists. Just sayin'. ;)

What if you are surprised and unable to pull your weapon?

This is why we spend a great deal of time in our classes discussing situational awareness, "predator/ prey" relationships, recognition, and posture.

There is a big difference "shooting" a gun at a stationary paper target from 15 yds. away under ideal conditions vs. fighting with one in the dark when you've been attacked by surprise from contact distance or even 3' away & retaining that weapon whenyour life may be on the line.

Amazes how many who come out to train with us have NEVER shot one round from any kind of close retention position.

You will fight as you have trained....or you can just hope you'll be "lucky".

This is why we spend a great deal of time in our classes discussing situational awareness, "predator/ prey" relationships & recognition, and posture.

There is a big difference "shooting" a gun at a stationary paper target from 15 yds. away under ideal conditions vs. fighting with one in the dark when you've been attacked by surprise from contact distance or even 3' away & retaining that weapon when your life may be on the line.

Amazes me how many who come out to train with us have NEVER shot one round from any kind of close retention position.

You will fight as you have trained....or you can just hope you'll be "lucky".

Last edited:
If I find myself in hand to hand combat, whether it's in a warzone, in SHTF, of walking to my car after a movie, something has gone bad wrong. I've missed something, plan went sour, I wasn't paying attention, something.

That said, it's better to have a tool and not need it than to need it and not have it. There are many advantages to that kind of training, even if you never actually get into a fist fight.

having a gun and a knife on you at all times is good (as I always do) but being able to handle your business hand to hand is important too. As important as training is fitness. What good is being able to throw a punch if you can't sustain a heart rate of 150 for more than a minute or two. Think it's not a big deal? Lock up with a heavyweight high school wrestler and see. The level of fitness and rate of obesity in this country is sickening.

Rule #1 cardio :) seriously though. Unarmed combat skills have come in really handy in the past. What's also important is the right mentality as well. You have to resolve to yourself that if something bad happens that you'll be willing to do what is necessary to make it out of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom