Unarmed combat skills in SHTF

What ever "class" you take will be beneficial to a certain extent.
Always remember that there aint no rules in fighting.

I have reached a point in my life where I have come to the conclusion that I am too old to fight but too young to die. I always carry a nice size pocket knife with pocket clip and a small pocket pistol at the very least. unarmed combat skills is fine for you young guns but if the SHTF I am going to shoot first and ask ???? later. If you mess with me lead will fly before fists. Just sayin'. ;)

I am with you,,,

I no longer train formally because of some chronic injuries but I do have 17 years experience in martial arts. I have 11 years of training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I find ancient combat martial arts training extremely valuable as it not only teaches you how to react properly when you are scared and your adrenalin is pumping but it also teaches you how to avoid dangerous situations entirely. The best way to survive a fight is to not be there in the first place. The difference between combat martial arts and competitive martial arts is that combat arts have no rules. It is fight or die. In a competition, there's "Illegal Moves" and a referee there to stop you if things get dangerous. In a real fight you can't depend on anyone stepping in to help you out and there's the chance that you are outnumbered or the other guy is in a heavier weight class.

After two years of training in Shotokan Karate, my instructor told me something that I'll never forget. If you are ever in a real fight, forget Karate, Karate will get you killed... The best defense is a short barreled shotgun. I heeded his advise and quit training in Karate shortly after that. I wasn't training for exercise. I was training to defend myself.

I have used my martial arts on a couple occasions and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to De-escalate a bad situation with force but without injuring myself or the other person. (well he did feel extreme pain but received no lasting injury)

I consider firearms training just an evolution of my martial arts training. I try to integrate the firearms into my martial arts as just another extension of my hands. Don't train in weapons, train the body how to move properly (Tai Jutsu) and the weapons skills will just naturally follow.

Last edited:
I did train with some BJJ guys for a short time... Just to learn their finishing moves... I asked them but they wouldn't show them to me. So I decided to spar with them and let them beat me so I could learn their finishing moves... Morons wouldn't show me their finishing moves but when I challenged them to spar, they were more than eager to show me... I found myself fighting in slow motion while I was getting "Beat"... I kept thinking "I can kill you here... and here... and here... I can poke here and here and here and break this and that and this and that... " the whole time I was getting "Beat"... It was fun learning their finishing moves by having them tried on me first hand. The only thing about it that was improper was one incident where one of the guys put his arm under my neck and the other on my forehead and snapped my head backward, effectively snapping my neck, causing it to crack. I had some neck pain from that one for several weeks. He should not have done that in a Demo. I guess he couldn't help but show off. I could have done a little bit of "Showing Off" but I was there to learn, not to impress anybody.

When looking for a place to learn a Martial art look for trophies in the window. If you see trophies..keep walking- Yip Man

Last edited:
dont care if I win or lose... fights are fun!

that being said, I have no formal training but if you want to start a fight and I am with you... I got your back even if you are dead wrong.

ultimately for me... in a shtf scenario.. i will assume that law and order has broken down so I wont have to worry about escalation of force or the law... so in that specific scenario I would simply shoot any sketchy or threatening looking fool in the face and call it a day.

Wow. So, you cap somebody just because they looked "sketchy" to you? That's awesome. I guess law and order breaking down means you'd feel cool with shooting random people or simply having fun and beating some "fool's" ass; if you didn't shoot him/her first...cuz after all law and order has broken down. So nobody will come and arrest you...

I lawl'd when I read your post.

Back
Top Bottom