• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

United State WAR BIRDS... Honoring The Warriors!

1709260433722.png

The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, called "Jugs". I met a Jugs pilot years back when he was commander of KAFB. During WWII he flew them in Europe he took one out and when it came back it has so many bullet holes in it they didn't bother to count them. It was a tank was the heaviest fighter on take off (8 tons) in the entire USAAF inventory. Started out with a three blade propeller and then when it went to 4 blade was the fastest diving fighter around. A real beast. The pilot? Colonel Paul Gabreski.

The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, called "Jugs". I met a Jugs pilot years back when he was commander of KAFB. During WWII he flew them in Europe he took one out and when it came back it has so many bullet holes in it they didn't bother to count them. It was a tank was the heaviest fighter on take off (8 tons) in the entire USAAF inventory. Started out with a three blade propeller and then when it went to 4 blade was the fastest diving fighter around. A real beast. The pilot? Colonel Paul Gabreski.
Somewhere I heard that when the first arrived in England and the English heard they were nicknamed the "Jug", they assumed it was short for "Juggernaut" (like they would do).
They were told that it was instead because it was difficult to handle, and rookie pilots would often wind up with on its nose after landing.
And that plane, sitting nose down looks like a milk jug. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom