• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

US Military confirms future switch to 6.8mm, not 6.5 Creedmoor

C197C0E0-ABC8-4BB0-A42A-19CA6934BC5B.png
266C3CA5-0419-4D43-A83F-1BA0BFE39770.png
Probably not spc2. Something more innovative. I hope they use metal not plastic.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-could-be-the-armys-next-standard-issue-rifle

I like 6.8 but Imo 6.8 is gonna have too much recoil for some folks.

I had a feeling they would change. The 85 grain in 6.8 goes almost just as fast as the 5.56 does in 62 gn. and you a get a much longer kill radius. Minimal weight addition and still uses the current AR15 frame. I a simple bolt, barrel and mag and you are off to the races. 5.56 ammo will be so cheap now you won't be able to keep it on the shelves. Every American freedom auxiliary armed commando unit will have trailers of that shi*T stacked to the ceiling.

Why?

If you look at that telescoping design, it's not like you will be reloading that kind of thing anytime soon. Better to use plastic (if practical) and reduce the weight so that solders can carry a larger amount of ammo.

The only reason we use brass today is to provide a chamber seal that will withstand tens of thousands of PSI. Supposedly this new round is much higher pressure than anything we use today, so they will probably need some other mechanism to contain the pressure.

This is nothing close to a 6.8 SPC, but something along the lines of 6.8x51.

It will have a hybrid case design of some kind, both for weight savings and increased pressure to get the performance desired. I wouldn't count on it being available to civilians, at least for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom