• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Use of a filler with Win296 / H110

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I'm in the process of adding 44 mag to my list of reloading calibers. I have on hand some Win296 powder which I would like to use. I'm interested in using this powder for some less than maximum loads. Since this powder performs best when it fills the case, I'm investigating the use of fillers. I've heard of others doing this with some success.

A couple of questions:

1) What would be the recommended filler material?
2) What if anything do you do to separate the filler from the powder?

I would account for the weight of the filler as additional projectile weight. Anything else I should take into account?

Editing to add:
For example, using the 300gr XTP, Hodgdon gives
COL 1.6"
Starting load: 18.0 gr at 35,100 CUP
Max load: 19.0 gr at 38,800 CUP

But Quickload shows the 19.0 gr load only filling the case 81.7%. And the 18.0 gr load gives 77.4% full. I am thinking of loads in that range, but filling the empty space with an appropriate filler.

Last edited:
I have plenty of AA#9 which is very similar to 2400. But I think Win296 is supposed to give the same velocities at lower pressure. OTOH if I fill the case to 100% of capacity with Win296, Quickload says the pressure will be 42,032 psi. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

as H-110 and Win 296 are both the same powder with different labels then I would as always follow exacting reloading guide lines from a reputable source.
experimentation that may ruin a gun, your face or hands just isn't worth what a pound of different powder will cost.
typically H-110 or Win 296 doesn't take kindly to down loading.
I think this could easily become a "here hold my beer and watch this " moment.
other than that and be careful I can't give any advice on the idea other than I would not do it.

"typically H-110 or Win 296 doesn't take kindly to down loading"

so true.. I remember when 296 1st appeared on the market... nothing but max loads were recommended. in fact they would only list a single load per bullet weight..

Dont use filler.

With 300 gr bullets you can get away with a bit of a download as the weight will make the powder burn. But I still would advise against it.

Just get another powder that is suitable for the velocity you want.

Dont use filler.

With 300 gr bullets you can get away with a bit of a download as the weight will make the powder burn. But I still would advise against it.

Just get another powder that is suitable for the velocity you want.

Yep!
also with a heavier projectile (300 grain) you will have less case capacity than with a 180-200-240 as the projectile is farther in the case.
h-110 /win 296 is a spherical powder so takes up less space than a flake or tubular powder so many cases will not be completely filled.
Just my take on it, been reloading for many years and safety is always my first goal.

Adding my 2 cents. Many years of loading h110 and 296. I agree with what's been said: no filler,no load lower than listed. Unique is good for reduced loads. Even in rifle i.e .30-30 et al.

Back
Top Bottom