• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

used Spark plug analysis

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I've never tried to diagnose the condition of an engine and carburetor system by looking at used spark plugs before.

These spark plugs came out of my V-twin motorcycle engine, where each cylinder has two intake ports and one exhaust port and there is one spark plug next to each intake Port, so that's 4 spark plugs for this two cylinder engine.

They were in for approximately 1600 miles of riding over 2 years' time.
The first 500 miles were done under conditions where the carburetor needed re-jetting.

The next 1100 miles came after the carburetor work was finished, and the engine ran strong with no apparent problems (other than some overheating issues which I think were related to the radiator fan and the thermostat. Both of those problems were recently fixed, only during the last maybe 300 miles of these spark plugs' use, but I always shut the bike down when it showed signs of overheating.)

0CA74E16-8424-47FC-B977-657326521DF7.jpeg
A20FD905-CC3D-4302-BD04-48903252C2E3.jpeg
AA76B843-CC52-4E36-AA35-010051E97EFD.jpeg
C533EFE8-8B11-4C50-9E58-A8A1E71C2C02.jpeg

PS: For most of the time that these
spark plugs were in service, my preferred fuel for the bike was REC-90 non ethanol gas mixed with Marvel's Mystery Oil at the recommended concentration (I think that was half an ounce of MMO per gallon if I remember right.)

PS: For most of the time that these
spark plugs were in service, my preferred fuel for the bike was REC-90 non ethanol gas mixed with Marvel's Mystery Oil at the recommended concentration (I think that was half an ounce of MMO per gallon if I remember right.)
Please show us a photo of the bike

I would think that the motor is running lean, especially the right bank. The carburetor could be jetted to small, if it runs right (e.g., plenty of power down low and smooth increase when opening throttle) then I would leave it as is, the plugs aren't melting at the electrode (center or ground side) so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it is starving for fuel when you get into it.

I would check the oil level and make sure it is not overfilled. Check level per owners manual.

Ok, did that last night at your suggestion.
( it's a real pain in the *** to do correctly according to the Honda manual.)

Oil is fine. Full, as usual. Clean. No gas smell. Color of maple syrup but not as thick once the engine is warm.

Back
Top Bottom