• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vacation items for preppers

Keep vehicle regularly serviced, no worn tires, good properly inflated spare. Jack and tire change tools all there and properly stored (know how to use them). AAA up to date. Tag, registration, insurance cards all up to date. Never get below half tank of gas.
Container in back with bottled water and snacks, blanket, small tarp, disposable rain ponchos. Led flashlight(s) with fresh spare batteries. Medium sized sturdy sheath knife. 8 power monocular (for better look ahead if traffic jam). Extra car chargers with splitters for phones/devices.
I keep a Kel-Tec P11 with loaded spare mags (2 10rd, 2 12rd) in the car at all times, except when dropping off for service or other reason stranger would be in vehicle unattended. Have a small carry bag to stow and go in case of unexpected vehicle dropoff.
This in addition to the EDC du jour.
If I'm having to travel through some area where there's known dangerous conditions, I'll switch out my EDC to my S&W M59 with 4 loaded spare 15rd mags and possibly throw my briefcase with my Gen1 Kel-Tec carbine and 5 loaded 20rd mags in for good measure.
With this setup, other than the P11 mags being too short for the 59, all mags interchange.
I'm sure some will consider the above excessive, but I believe in my sig line.

all the stuff listed above in mine, plus a set of Multi Cam and ACU BDU's with matching backpacks to hide my foot traveling necessities. I figure if it does hit the fan our Military will be everywhere so best to blend in and walk/drive/ride unmolested by the Military or Civvies.

A long gun in your vehicle is a good idea.
It has 5X the effective range of a pistol and a lot more penetrating power.

If a riot or something happens in one city, will you be driving out of it, or, knowing the roads will be congested and the streets the playground or looters and gangs, will you find a quiet spot in a park or the woods near the railroad tracks in a heavy industrial area to lay low and wait it out?

A long gun in your vehicle is a good idea.
It has 5X the effective range of a pistol and a lot more penetrating power.

If a riot or something happens in one city, will you be driving out of it, or, knowing the roads will be congested and the streets the playground or looters and gangs, will you find a quiet spot in a park or the woods near the railroad tracks in a heavy industrial area to lay low and wait it out?

Depends...

Not talking staying/going, just hope I'll have some to wear.

A map of the area you will be traveling through .
In case you lose cell service and need an alternate route home.

Edit to add : I've been in traffic jams that had so many people using the local cell tower that I had trouble connecting.
Trying to get from Baltimore MD up I 83 into PA on September 11, 2001 I couldn't get a call through the entire 6 hours it took to drive 90 miles.

Good point. If you don't have a paper map I know Google Maps lets you download areas to store locally on your phone. I used that a lot when I was driving out West and was out of cell range for hours.

On a similar note texts (SMS, not anything else) use a side channel and will often make it through when a call would be blocked due to jammed towers.

Back
Top Bottom