• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

}{Value on this S&W 66-2}{

Jholdbrooks

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
173   0
Reaction score
My wife got this given to her a couple years back (it was her grandfathers). We do not have the box or paperwork just the gun. I was curious at the value of this sweet shooter. I just stepped back in from shooting it and man did it give me the fever for a wheel gun.

Im thinking now I would love to have a 686. Who here has shot both and in your opinion which is better? Now, we're not looking at getting rid of this beauty cause this one stays in the family!

So, what do you wheel guys think? image.jpgimage.jpgit is in excellent condition!!

Owned both, shot both....prefer the 66....just as accurate as your ability makes it and weighs a lot less than a 686 if you plan on carrying for any length of time in the woods with all your other gear.

Owned both, shot both....prefer the 66....just as accurate as your ability makes it and weighs a lot less than a 686 if you plan on carrying for any length of time in the woods with all your other gear.
I like the looks of a 686 better but I like the thought of this one being lighter. What kind of frame are we looking at in case I'd like to change the grips....as far as accuracy I was hitting a 10" plate at 70 yards 5 out of 6 shots! So I thought that was pretty good!

Just a SWAG but as low as $550 mid $650 high of $750+ of course it all comes down to what people will pay. The original wood grips add to value, if it was pinned and recessed it adds to value, original box and papers add.

It's a really nice revolver and just go shoot it to form your own opinion.

I prefer 4"-5" models and some prefer the full under lug of the 686/586 series. There is only one way to know for sure.

I like the looks of a 686 better but I like the thought of this one being lighter. What kind of frame are we looking at in case I'd like to change the grips....as far as accuracy I was hitting a 10" plate at 70 yards 5 out of 6 shots! So I thought that was pretty good!

The 66 is a K frame, the 686 is a L frame, same grips fit either.

Just a SWAG but as low as $550 mid $650 high of $750+ of course it all comes down to what people will pay. The original wood grips add to value, if it was pinned and recessed it adds to value, original box and papers add.

It's a really nice revolver and just go shoot it to form your own opinion.

I prefer 4"-5" models and some prefer the full under lug of the 686/586 series. There is only one way to know for sure.
Since I'm new to revolvers can you explain the pinned and recessed part? If heard others on here talk about it put that's bout as far as it went lol. It is a dream to shoot and the value you said is bout what I told my wife! Thanks for the info

Since I'm new to revolvers can you explain the pinned and recessed part? If heard others on here talk about it put that's bout as far as it went lol. It is a dream to shoot and the value you said is bout what I told my wife! Thanks for the info

Pinned means the barrel is pinned rather than a crush fit. Recessed refers to the cylinder being recessed to accept moon clips.

Pinned means the barrel is pinned rather than a crush fit. Recessed refers to the cylinder being recessed to accept moon clips.
Ok that makes since (kind of) lol...I'm gonna do some research and see if I can compare pics of both..but I think I know what you're saying..thanks chopper

If you go to replace the Grips, you will need K- Frame SQUARE-Butt Grips...As far as a VALUE, if it is as nice as it appears, $600, +/- $50--Only way it would bring more is if you had the Box & Paperwork...

While the K-Frame Model 66--And it's Blued Brother, the Model 19--Are GREAT Guns--I have more than one of each--I personally prefer the slightly larger & heavier L-Frame Models 586 & 686--They tend to "Hang" a little STEADIER for me when shooting, are real *****CATS with .38 Special Ammo, and "Soak Up" the RECOIL from even the heaviest .357 Magnum loads better than the smaller K-Frame guns...YMMV, of course....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom