• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

}{Value on this S&W 66-2}{

Since I'm new to revolvers can you explain the pinned and recessed part? If heard others on here talk about it put that's bout as far as it went lol. It is a dream to shoot and the value you said is bout what I told my wife! Thanks for the info

I wrote this a couple of years ago I think.
Explanation of term “Pinned and Recessed”

There seems to have been a resurgence in revolvers and I have been asked several times recently about the term “pinned and recessed (P&R)” in reference to Smith and Wesson revolvers. I will define the term and give MY opinion, not as an expert, but simply based on what I have read, written by experts.

Pinned Barrel. This simply means that a pin is placed just in front of the cylinder and just above the barrel. Theoretically it was placed there to prevent the barrel from loosening and therefore would improve accuracy. Colt never used a “Pin” to secure the barrel, but S&W did, at least until 1982. S&W’s need for a pinned barrel was eliminated in 1957, when they eliminated their “soft fit department”. But they continued to produce the pinned barrel until 1982, as nothing more than a nod to traditionalists. It really was unnecessary from a construction and safety standpoint.

Recessed Cylinder (or counter bored cylinder). This means that the cylinder was counter bored so that the round would be completely fit inside the cylinder and thus provide extra support for the case head. But with stronger brass formulas for the case, this was not needed This was only done for what was considered magnum rounds,.357, .41, and .44 and rim-fire rounds, .22. .45ACP and .45 Colt revolvers, by S&W, did not have the cylinders counter bored. Again, this procedure was discontinued for the magnum rounds in 1982, though some rim-fire guns are still counter bored. I find the recessed cylinders harder to clean, but hey that is just me.

Is a S&W revolver that is P&R more expensive than a non-P&R Smith revolver in the same model and like condition? In a word, YES! Why? Because for some it harkens back to a day when craftsmanship was more important than mass production and collectors love them. Is that true? Well, I think so, but there is no compelling reason to believe that those characteristics themselves made the guns any better than those made after P&R was discontinued. I like the guns that are P&R because I think they are cool and I think the fit and finish is better, but I don’t kid myself into thinking that the P&R guns are a better firearm than those that are not P&R. S&W discontinued the P&R models as a cost cutting measure. Why make additional steps in the production process, when those steps were not necessary to the safety or accuracy of the gun. Not trying to justify S&W cutting those steps out, but S&W did say it saved them quite a bit in production costs.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a great shooter and are going to base your purchase on availability and price, go with a Smith that is not P&R. If you are looking for a Smith that is going to appreciate in value, look cool, have features not found in today’s market, get a P&R Smith. No need to make anyone happy but yourself.

I by no means regard this writing as the know all and end all of P&R Smiths. Just wanted to answer the question that quite a few have asked me. I believe the information to be correct, and the dates to be correct, but heck, I could be wrong. I am sure that I will get hammered if I something is incorrect.

Ha sounds cool. I have a membership here at stoddarts, but shooting indoors really kinda sucks. Pm me when you get a chance and we'll set something up.
Ok sure thing, Ive never shot indoors and kindof don't have a need to either:) so I thought if you did you'd prolly like to shoot outside every once and a while

I would NOT get rid of it! A real nice special piece!!!!! Looks like a 6 inch barrel..
Is the barrel pinned? if so value is greater! Not sure how much!
That will help determine age!
Suggest you call S&W and have them research the Serial Number!
I have a 1971 S&W pinned barrel in another model and it is over $ 1,000 now!
You guys have a "KEEPER"!!!

Back
Top Bottom